NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

And on the 35th day there was speech

Joerawlings23

I think he means confident enough to speak with someone in the room, Dave :)

And sadly, I don't know of a method for that. Talula will talk that pretty grey head off... when I'm out of sight. She will speak when I'm looking at her occasionally... but normally its when I'm not in eyesight.

Phoenix is the same way, but lately, he's gotten more pronounced about saying "Hey Buddy" when I come into the room.

For a while Talula said Hello when you walked by her cage. Now she sometimes says either "Pretty girl" or "Hey baby girl" ... it's garbled and I can't really make out anything but "girl"

Well, ecodweeb's bird is doing exactly what at least 95% of greys will do. They're only adding and imitating those phrases into all the sounds they're making. All of the whistling and other noises they make are their natural sounds. It's called parrotese language.

Talking when you're not there or talking when you are there has nothing to do with confidence. Talking in front of you only develops with time. Imitating human language shouldn't be looked at as very important because they're just rpeating what they've gotten used to.

PS--there's absolutely no guaranteed way to make a bird talk in front of a person. Thety feel most comfortable when they're alone.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2010/02/04 18:29

Dave007 wrote:

Talking when you're not there or talking when you are there has nothing to do with confidence. Talking in front of you only develops with time.

You are quite correct Dave. Harvey's first attempt at Tolstoy's War & Peace was at about 9 months old - he's now 13 months and can recite it word for word. Well, that's an absolute lie - but something I'd like to think he does whilst I'm at work!! :)

I think Dave is bang on. Some lucky folks have birds who chat away in front of them (loads are videoed on this forum) but some, like me, have a bird who doesn't show much speech in front of them (we hear the odd hello, but that's about it).

He is fully integrated in the family, he's bright as a spark and imitates everything that makes a sound (seagulls, microwave, door chime, oven timer and his latest the blackbird), but the words don't come out - at the moment he's attempting to beat box!

I'm with Dave in thinking that he can talk - but it is "Parrotese" and one day I may be lucky enough to hear him - just no time soon!!!! :laugh: