NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cracked egg

Gracie

:( 1-1/2 months ago I acquired a pair of proven Timneh Greys. These birds have been a pair for some time and are experienced at parenting. I, unfortunately, am brand new to this. 2-1/2 weeks ago I peeked into the nestbox and discovered 1 egg. I have tried not to disturb them, but did peek in 2 more times since then. The second time - yesterday - I discovered that the egg is cracked. I do not know if I should take it out or leave it there. If I remove it, will she lay another. She has been in the nestbox almost continuously and only comes out once a day and then for a very short time. I assume he has been feeding her. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

I bred finches for years.

A cracked egg can still hatch. I have seen it. Since there is only one egg, you do not need to worry about possible contamination of other eggs should this one be bad. You could VERY carefully take it out and candle it to see if in fact it is fertile.

Birds deal with this everyday while nesting.

My only other thoughts on this are if you candle it and find it is not fertile. Remove it to increase the odds they will breed again and produce more.

I am positive Dave will have more to say on this topic as well. :-)<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2010/02/04 13:24