NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Juno's Quilt

katana600

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally ordered black fabric online. It arrived and has been washed. But now, I lost everything on my computer last week to another virus and lost the pictures and the computer generated patterns, so I am going to get started this week anyway and just wing it. Kopi will be my little muse and encouragement. It means a lot to me to contribute to research and even moreso now that it will impact us directly though this little guy.

So sorry to hear that you have lost your pattern and other info. But I have every faith that you will get back on track in no time. Can't wait to see and hear how things go now that you have all your materials. Just a few more days and Kopi will be with you. How excited you must be!

I certainly can find a bright side. Since I fell in love with the outer most ring of color, I was trying to figure out how to change the inside and get a balance of color. The first time I was putting it into the computer I was learning new software and focused on the instruction manual, this time I can be more free to change the center medallion, so all is not lost, just slowed down a bit. That can be a good thing. Only four more days to wait, but who's counting?

That is one way to look at it Dee, when life gives you a lemon make lemonade and I bet what you come up with will be dazzling to see.

I know these next four days will be some of the longest you will ever experience but who's counting!:P;)

• 1 month later...

Preview of round one, I won't sew the parts together until I have all the main rounds done because of the technique. The center symbolizes the sun, I am going to try out some blue against the black for the sky on the second round, then green for trees and grass, ending with a rainbow to symbolize the rainbow bridge. I think it should be titled Juno's Circle of Life. There are almost a hundred pieces of fabric in this center section.

Dee I am in awe of what a beautiful quilt this is going to be. Almost 100 pieces just for the center section, awesome! The way you explained each section sounds so right for Juno's memory. I love the quilt's name, Juno's Circle of Life, so appropriate and so right. Thank you for sharing this lovely memorial with us. I look forward to see each section has it comes into fruition.

Thanks for the encouragement. The work isn't difficult at all. Choosing colors is what gives me analysis paralysis... I think I need to use Dave's theory... "Clyde, go home," when I get stuck with too many decisions for the next color. Now that the center is a reality, the rest should chug right along. When I get stuck, I will just come back and read your supportive words and find my inspiration again. You all have been there with me since before the beginning and have been the light of my healing. Thanks so much.

That is absolutely fantastic Dee and would look lovely in any home in the world (but particularly in mine!!!!). I think this signifies the light and love that you showed Juno and also secondly the happiness and glow that Kopi now gives. I can't wait to see it finished (and lying on my bed) :laugh:

• 1 month later...

As I worked on the yellow rays of sun I was finding myself singing the song "You are the sunshine of my life" that I sang at night for Juno. Sometimes I cry a little. This is part of the process. Kopi encourages me while I work. "C'mon, c'mon, step up, good good".

Juno's Circle of Life.jpg

I have been working on this twelve to seventeen hours a day for a week to get the yellows and now the greens sorted. I think the greens look like the palm trees where our birds would munch happily on pine nuts. I am sorting and cutting blues for the next part, but I am going away on a four day art quilt retreat, so I have some cleaning and packing, then only two more weeks to finish the quilt top if I am going to make my self-imposed deadline. The more I work on this, the more I want to keep it, but I have all the fabric and patterns to do it again.

green section.jpg

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Finally it is finished. When I sewed the last seam on the top, I delivered it to my friend Peggy and she did the quilting on a long arm machine. She stitched his name in black and when I saw the quilt for the first time, my eye went right to the spot. Then, when I was sewing the binding, I put it on the floor and scoured the whole quilt and could not find it again, it is like magic. I finished my part last Monday and my husband had a business trip to Jacksonville so he hand delivered it to Juno's breeder, Ann. She is going to organize the next phase for the raffle. It gave me no pause to hand it over and be at peace if I never see it again. What this quilt meant to me was moving past the loss to the celebration of joy in my life that was here for such a short time but will affect me forever. I am embracing the joy of Juno's spirit now and forever. The end result is going to be a small drop in the bucket for the research of PDD, but you just never know if that one tiny drop is the tipping point that brings new light to the research that will lead to a test and eventually a vaccine that will protect our birds in the future. My hopes are high and I just have to say that without the constant support and encouragement that I have found on this forum, the difficult techniques would have sent me into analysis paralysis, but every time I thought it was too hard, there was someone here telling me I could do it. Thank you all for what you have brought to my life.

finished quilt sm.jpg

• Haha 1

It is absolutely gorgeous Dee, you have done a wonderful job on it, such a labor of love, yes we all remember how much Juno meant to you and he will always be remembered. I know you hated to give the quilt over to be raffled but hopefully you will see it again, who knows if you get a chance on it you just might get it back.

Welcome back to the forum Dee, hope you are going to stick around for a while.

Thanks Judy, I haven't been far, I lurk often. Somehow when I sign in, it seems like four hours will pass and I forget what else is waiting for me on the outside of this computer. LOL. As all growing families, we are having the ebb and flow of college age kids moving home, visiting far away family and of course, trying to sew in my kitchen and still make healthy meals... for the birds and occasionally for family too. We are getting the basement renovated for me to have a real sewing room now that my husband has seen a finished project. LOL.