NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cause for celebration!!

pearllyn

Counting my blessings - using both hands and both feet - all the fingers and toes! Dixie, Beau and now Blue and Bean are all eating Harrison's coarse with no problems and very little waste. Sterling - well he eats the purple, green and yellow from his Zupreem. Four out of five ain't bad. Way to go Alfie!

Lyn - Yep, he has never liked pellets.

I throw them out, refill and once in a blue moon he eats 10 percent of A pellet then tosses it as if to say "Yep, still tastes like crap". :P

I don't fret over it though. I know by feeding him the well rounded diet I provide along with the avian lighting and outdoors in the summer he is getting all the nutrients he needs for good health. :-)

Way-hay - and another tonight!!:woohoo:

rbpittman wrote

Four out of five ain't bad.

Four out of five is excellent! How did you manage that?

JillyBeanz wrote

It's like making children eat sprouts!

Lol yes - so we cover them with sauces or juice or all manner of delicious disguises! Alfie's never been keen on fruit juice really but I just found she has a liking for prune juice, and it's the pruney pellets she's been chomping! Hay - whatever works!!

Danmcq wrote

I throw them out, refill and once in a blue moon he eats 10 percent of A pellet then tosses it as if to say "Yep, still tastes like crap".

Haha now that does sound familiar!!

I do fret a little less about it now too - only a little though!

Lol Janet - I never got Karma for nagging before! Thanks!

And it really is Howardine - this little birdie of mine has certainly taught me how to be patient!

When I got Dixie they had her on a "store mix" which looked very much like Kaytee Fiesta, but wasn't eating it very well. The store also served all the birds a mix of white rice and veggies. She picked at it better than the "store mix". On her first vet visit they recommended the Harrison's and recommended I add it to her rice and veggie mix. Low and behold she ate the pellets slowly with many ending up on the bottom of the cage, but within a month she was eating them without the added rice and veggies. Now she gets a 1/4 cup Harrison's twice a day with little to no waste, along with fresh veggies and fruit.

Beau was hand-fed still when I brought him home and the only pellets available to him were Harrison's, so he didn't know any better I guess.

Blue & Bean were brought up on Zupreem Natural and until recently that's all they would eat. I keep a bowl of Harrison's on Beau's playstand and they love to fly to eat - and starting eating out of his bowl. When I put a bowl of Harrison's along with a bowl of Zupreem in their cage, the Harrison's is gone (and not dunked) or on the bottom of the cage. Zupreem is usually muddying their water (3 times a day I change it).

Sterling - he prefers to eat all fresh except for the purple, green and yellow Zupreem Fruit Blend. I haven't been able to convert him yet. On his fresh veggies, he only eats them if he is hand-fed, put them in a bowl you may as well throw them in the trash.

Prune juice? Interesting Alfie!

Robin

Wow Robin - your Harrisons road has been a fairly smooth one! I wished sometimes that Alfie, like Beau, had been weaned onto Harrisons!

But.....she ate 3 this morning for breakfast - right one after the other, just like that! And she ate 100% of each one too!! Not taking a mouthful then "Yep, still tastes like crap". (Dan's words :laugh: ) and throwing them out!!

I'm so excited!! hope it lasts!

• 6 months later...

I'm in update mode today! Shortly after I posted in this thread last time, about Alfie starting to take to her Harrisons (woo hoo), she went off them again and just went back to the same old ignoring them. I gave up on them completely after that and she is now on Zupreem Natural pellets. They're little sunflower seed shaped golden pellets and so far so good. She started off trying to "open" them, as she would a sunflower seed, now she peels the outside offf and eats the middle part - it must taste better!!! She still gets a seed mix - Avian Specific for greys, but she is eating less and less seed, the bulk of her diet is fresh. Harrisons was my first choice but I'm dead chuffed that she's eating the zupreem. :o