NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Flight Feathers

Dave27563

Hi all,

Not been on for awhile been on a course so not a lot of free time.{Communicate-000200D4}

I had Charlie out as you do and she was having a fly around the room when she misjudged and flew into the mirror.{Feel-bad-00020080}

She was a bit dazed but ok apart from she had broke some of her long feathers on her wing.

She started to pull the broken ones out as soon as i put her on her cage but I'm not sure that she didnt go to far because now she has none of the long feathers on her wing.

She seams ok in herself and has not pulled any feathers out since.

Can anyone tell me how long it will take for her feathers to grow back?

It took a few times for her to realize that she couldn't fly, so climbs everywhere now, not sure whats better her flying or climbing lol

Thanks for reading and any help would be appreciated.

Dave & Charlie{Feel-good-000200B9}

The flights should grow back the next time they are molted. The molt is generally not something that happens all at once or else the bird would be flightless. Usually each pair of flights (eg the same feather from each wing) will molt at about the same time. This ensures that in the wild the bird would not be flightless and always has balanced wings. Usually each set of flights molt about once every 6 months. So if many were damaged you could easily be looking at a year or longer for all of them to be replaced.

From what you write it sounds like otherwise Charlie is acting normal, so hopefully there is no other significant damage, like to the wing bones or anything. Sounds like a pretty nasty crash. Was Charlie a proficient flier? Just learning??

An interesting fact dbhelix,I had not thought about the consequence of asymetrical moulting. Physical retention of a birds primary escape mechanism in order to protect itself from predation is the grand result of the succesfull evolutionary model.

What a wonder nature is..:)

Hi dblhelix.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes she was a good flyer, never misjudged like that before. Infact she would fly from one room to another with no problem, and always landed as a parrot should.

I can see that she wants to fly to me but she stops herself.

She is 7 mth old now so hopefully it wont be long for

her molt and she will be able to fly again.

Thanks again

Dave & Charlie