NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Chrome

Supernova

I have just had a quote to have Ben's cage grill at the bottom of her cage to be re chromed.

At some of the wire joints it has corroded and starting to rust, the cage is nearly 5 years old, at £50 I think it is extortion, but must be done as I cant get a replacement, can anybody tell me if after this operation, do I need to do anything else to it to make it safe for Ben?

As I am thinking about the chemicals used in processing.

It will be copper plated before chroming.

:unsure:

Bernie.

Who is doing the work Bernie? Is it a body shop or something like that? The only thing I can think of is to ask them exactly what process and chemicals they use, and then do research on the toxicity of those chemicals. I'm guessing that his cage is all chrome and that's why you want the grill re-done in that finish? What about getting it powder-coated in a complemetary colour like white. Most new cages are powder-coated (except for the super-expensive stainless-steel), so at least that finish should be safe. Or maybe you could find someone who could fabricate a new grill to match the old one, and do it out of stainless.

Acappella wrote:

Who is doing the work Bernie? Is it a body shop or something like that? The only thing I can think of is to ask them exactly what process and chemicals they use, and then do research on the toxicity of those chemicals. I'm guessing that his cage is all chrome and that's why you want the grill re-done in that finish? What about getting it powder-coated in a complemetary colour like white. Most new cages are powder-coated (except for the super-expensive stainless-steel), so at least that finish should be safe. Or maybe you could find someone who could fabricate a new grill to match the old one, and do it out of stainless.

Stainless. great idea thanks :) :)

The most commonly used coating on a parrot cage is what's called powder coating. It lasts a very long time and it's very durable. These types of cages can be purchased through pet stores but the best place to buy them is on EBAY. There's hundreds of cages there.

In order to redo your cage with powder coating, everything has to be removed down to the bare metal before it can be done.

The most expensive cage that's sold is made of stainless steel. Also, recoating your cage will cost quite a bit of money. Mant times, the price of a new cage is actually less than the recoating of a cage.