NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Peanuts in the Shell

Talon

There seems to be a lot of discrepancy about feeding peanuts in the whole shell to birds. I have researched this on other forums, and can't seem to find the answer. Could anyone please clarify if the human grade peanuts are safe? I know peanuts can have a fungus in the shells, but I have read many different opinions about bird vs. human grade. I would think both had the same risk. Does anyone here know the correct answer to this? :dry:

Hi Talon, I usually buy peanuts at the local grocery store, that are kept in bins, and I only buy enough to last a week, that are not cracked or broken, or discolored...and of course non salted...I only give one or two every other day or so. I've read that you shouldn't give them many due to fat content, and I think if you observe the quality of the nut(s) then you'll be safe, but when in doubt throw it out.

The "danger" is the fugus and the aflatoxin it produces. If present this can be toxic to the birds and if the spores are inhaled can lead to asperillogosis. However, in most cases a healthy bird will not succumb to this, but it is a risk.

Using human grade peanuts reduces the chance of the fungus being present since the collection/storage/processing is, in theory, conducted according to higher standards.

I think it is a calculated risk. I know I have myself cracked open a "human grade" peanut to find it rotted/molded out...these are the ones to watch for. If you use human grade and inspect the nuts before feeding (maybe even crack it open and peek in, you are probably going to be fine. However, I have chosed not to feed peanuts in the shell on a regular basis since I do not want to worry about this. I will say that Kip LOVES peanuts in the shell, so it was a bit tough to basically deny her this treat, but I have found other things she seems to like (such as pine nuts)...B)

Guest briansmum

like talon i can't find anything that goes into too much detail on peanuts and their dangers, but i have noticed that they are listed on nearly all sites containing info on parrot diets. and it makes me wonder if they would be listed if they were so harmful, all these people must be feeding nuts with no reprecutions. it seems the chances are very slim that you should find a nut with fungus and this is only if they are harvested, packed and stored incorrectly, usually damp conditions. as dblhelix detailed if you get human grade ones they should by fine. store them correctly, do not exceed the use by date, wash and crack before feeding so you can see inside.

Human grade are safer in the US because they are tested and must not exceed the FDA set limit of aflatoxin (20 parts per billion). There is a lot of info you can read about it if you google "aflatoxin peanuts" or some such combination.

However, even with testing sometimes something will get through the system. Obviously since the birds are so small a lower exposure to the toxin can be fatal. Again, there is some risk, but its probably pretty low. If you want to be sure, dont feed them peanuts from the shell...but you could make yourself crazy if you worry too much! :silly:

Guest briansmum

great stuff dblhelix. it seems the fungus is really easy to see, if you cracked one open you'd know straight away if there was anything in there

Thats just it though, you have to crack it open to find it, if you give your grey the peanut in the shell for them to open and eat, how would you know if it had that aflatoxin inside. THAT is why I don't feed peanuts in the shell. Not going to take the chance.:dry: :dry:

• 1 month later...

My 27 year old amazon Tommy has recovered from aspergillosis she got from peanuts in the shell. It was a terrible time for her and for me. The mortality rate is high for this fungus and we were very lucky to beat it.She lost 71 grams in weight and grew to mistrust me as I had to give her meds twice a day. She is now terrified of towels as I had to towel her to give her the meds.She was ill for over 4 months. She may have permanent liver damage. My heart broke to watch her so sick she could not feed herself. It is a miracle that she is clear of it. I will never even have a peanut in the shell in my house again. Please throw out your peanuts. It is just not worth the risk.