NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Amazons in Southern California

According to the California Parrot Project six species of Amazons have naturalized here: Red-crowned, Lilac crowned, Blue-fronted, Red-lored, White-fronted, Yellow-headed. There are many theories as to how they came here. When I was in Borrego Springs I saw them living in the palm trees. I was told they had migrated there from Mexico.

I found mention of a grey paorrot naturalization on another site, but could not verify this.

There are verified flocks of parakeets, cockatoos, macaws, lovrbirds, budgies, cockatiels, etc.

I thought some of you in other parts of the world might be interested in knowing we have wild parrots here.

One of the flocks in Redlands came just before sunset while my husband was dying and called to him, "Come fly with us." He answered, "Silly birds, I can't fly." They laughed as they flew off. He did join them a few hours later. :)

kittykittykitty wrote:

One of the flocks in Redlands came just before sunset while my husband was dying and called to him, "Come fly with us." He answered, "Silly birds, I can't fly." They laughed as they flew off. He did join them a few hours later. :)

That is so beautiful ~ a very sad time, tinged with such beauty and peace.

I think we seem to forget that parrots are wild animals, and that they have to live somewhere - pity it's not the North Eastern part of England!!! You lucky, lucky people :)

Hey Kitty, you brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing that precious moment within your story about the wild flocks in southern California. Here in the northern suburbs of Athens we have a flock of about 14 ring necked parrots who keep to the tops of the 4 story tall cyprus trees around our area. I can hear them calling out every morning as they fly over our building. They are a beautiful sight and don't seem to have any problems with the cold weather. (Of course it never goes to freezing temps here...) I have tried to leave food for them on my 2nd floor balcony but no luck... I'm curious if they will approach when I start leaving Sunshine my YCA outside occasonally in the extra cage... Want to hear a crazy story? I was told there was a scarlet macaw who used to fly all around the neighborhood for years. A lady owned him and he used to return home for meals - can you imagine that? Unfortunately one day somebody shot him.... terrible. Of course we would never do that with our fids...