NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hi :) I'm new

Hi Everyone,

I just joined. I tried signing up a day or so ago, but I guess it didn't go through because I never got an email (sorry if that causes any trouble)!

I have had ownership experience with cockatiels, parakeets, and a male YNA. I have been considering an African Grey as my future avian companion for about a year or two now. I finally decided to join some forums as I am getting more serious about my search. Since I can't be around them a lot due to lack of availability, I was hoping that somehow this forum would help me determine if the Grey personality is what I am looking for.<br><br>Post edited by: pattertwig, at: 2010/01/27 19:09

Hi Pattertwig, welcome to our family. I joined a load of forums before I found these guys and unfortunately for them I sacked the others and they were stuck with me! Plenty of other forums state they are "the best" - they're not! As Dave says - list all your questions - there's always someone around who will help - and as this is a 24 hour, multi-national forum you're not far away from an answer. I look forward to hearing more about you :)

Hi Everyone! What a warm welcome! Thank you :)

By the way, I only have ownership experience for budgies. I typed that wrong, sorry. The tiels and the Amazon were long-term care things (although I basically owned them, so I guess you could say I did lol).

I typed up some stuff as Dave suggested. Some of them probably depend on the individual bird. I am considering a Timneh by the way, not a Congo:

-I'd like an intelligent bird I can talk to (I don't care about talking ability). When I talked to my parakeets it was rewarding, but when I talked to the Amazon, I would say "wow, he is really listening" even if he never uttered a word. I guess it's kind of hard to describe the "prescence" I am looking for. i hope it makes sense a bit!

- Sound/Pitch (not counting mimicking and learning sounds and words), what can a grey be related to with regards to other parrots (especially an amazon since I have experience with those)? I hear they make a sound like a drop of water or something lol that seems to be pretty common. I'm not sure what their natural calls are really.

-Birdy dust! Greys are bad I hear for this...do any of you have sensitivities or hay fever/seasonal allergies? Are they really that bad? If so, how is it with an air filter in the bird's room? I only have mild sensitivities and have filters everywhere just in case my sinuses block up. My main triggers are fresh cut grass, pollens, trees, molds and urine smell (like from a cat box).

-Birdy showers...I have read that Grey's don't like water as much as Amazons. This means it would be hard to reduce dust right? how iften do you bathe and is it difficult to get the accustomed?

-Shyness/quietness: I know it can depend on the bird, but compared to the YNA clowns, they seem a lot more demure. I'd like something a littler calmer than an Amazon.

-Road trips: would a Grey, if accustomed, be OK traveling in a car and then for little trips out of state at the family's house or to work? Do they not take this well?

-Playing with toys: how naturally playful are they and how do they cope with new toys? do they seem to prefer one type of toy over the other as a whole?

That's all for now! I apologize if it's jumbled. I'm so tired today and it's late! Thanks all :)

oops, also wanted to ask...

Horomonal periods: how are they compared to a YNA? how are they in general?

Males and Females: Is one calmer/less aggressive over the other? This can vary by species, which is why I am asking.

I'm sure I'll think of more. I'm going to keep searching the forums too!

Hormonal comparisions-----

Amazons and greys are pretty different during a hormonal/mating time. A grey wants to be left alone, is very quiet, won't be as tolerent of things that she's used to. The female are a bit more aggressive and short tempered than the male. Greys don't like to be handled as much by owners during this time. They will show definite signs just before they act aggressively. If the owners show restraint and show understanding during this time, problems are minor.

Amazons --Females are usually calmer than males during the the breeding season. An attack by a hormonal male can be vicious and will not be limited to one bite. The time of aggression varies with the individual bird. It usually appears between the ages of 5 to 12 years. During this time there will be one to two years in which they will be very aggressive. They show little signs that they're about to bite Once they go through this, they generally settle down with little or no aggression shown when they are not hormonal and some aggression when they are. In general, owners should be more understanding of their ZON and show more restraint. They also won't hesitate to bite other birds who are annoying them when they're hormonal.

Dave007 wrote:

Hormonal comparisions-----

Amazons and greys are pretty different during a hormonal/mating time. A grey wants to be left alone, is very quiet, won't be as tolerent of things that she's used to. The female are a bit more aggressive and short tempered than the male. Greys don't like to be handled as much by owners during this time. They will show definite signs just before they act aggressively. If the owners show restraint and show understanding during this time, problems are minor.

Wow...that IS quite different! The male YNA that was with me for long-term care got VERY loud during horomonal period (on top of being aggressive). What a polar-opposite that the Grey gets quiet, and also that it's the females and not the males that get more sensitive (kind of like an eclectus?).

It sounds like the Grey's horomonal period is a piece of cake compared to what I've been through with the male YNA I cared for (went through a few horomonal cycles and molts), although I plan for the worst just in case. I used to just let him be and respected his space, or talked to him when he was interactive. Wooden perches became a good tool and it was a good compromise.

Do Grey's have "the big one" like the Amazons do for puberty (that's the 5-12 year old one that can last 2 years for zons)? I'm guessing they don't since you didn't mention it.

Thank you for the lovely comparion. That was very informative. :)

Hi!

I'm relatively new to greys - Alfie has owned us for nearly two years now! SHe was our first grey and we just love her to bits. I'll answer your questions as best I can on the experience I've had with Alfie.

She is one of the most intelligent animals I've ever come across. She most definitely listens when we talk to her, and I'd say understands what we are trying to teach her. (she says "uh-oh" when she is somewhere she knows she shouldn't be and tells us she needs a whoopsie if she's not on her perch - sometime she will flly there herself, and if we place her there, 9 times out of ten she will go when she gets there)

So, intelligence? Check!!

I don't have much experience with other parrots, had a conure about 10 years ago and ALfie is definitely quiter than he was! She has two vocal sessions a day - the rest of the time she is fairly quiet. her vocal sessions consist of her going through her entire vocabulary whistles, tunes, words - the lot!! And yes, she is usually loudest when the film you are watching is just coming to the bit that explains everything and inevitabley, you miss the punchline!!

Birdy dust. I have hay fever and am allergic to cat hair and I get on fine with Alfie's dust - and there is a fair bit of it!! I did wonder about that before we got her, but it hasn't been a problem.

Bathtimes. Alfie isn't nuts about water - but even at almost 2yo, we are making breakthroughs with the water all the time, and I have high hopes that she will someday enjoy a shower with me. She is starting to look for a running tap and spending time trying to be brave enough to jump into a shallow sinkful of water!

Quietness! Alfie is, on the whole, definitely not! She's into everything, explores everything, if you've got it, she wants it - if the dog has it, she wants it! I think she's a bit of a tomboy! Having said that, she still likes her quiet time with us of an evening where she will just sit on our knee and get a tickle before bed!

From a young age, Alfie has gone with us in the car with no objections. She will be pretty happy being where ever we are. She has a harness and will go for walks etc.

Toys, Little ones will be accepted by Alfie within a couple of day - sometimes immediately! Big one can take up to a month!!

Sorry for the long winded reply, but I hope it is helpful to you!

pearllyn wrote:

Hi!

I'm relatively new to greys - Alfie has owned us for nearly two years now! SHe was our first grey and we just love her to bits. I'll answer your questions as best I can on the experience I've had with Alfie.

She is one of the most intelligent animals I've ever come across. She most definitely listens when we talk to her, and I'd say understands what we are trying to teach her. (she says "uh-oh" when she is somewhere she knows she shouldn't be and tells us she needs a whoopsie if she's not on her perch - sometime she will flly there herself, and if we place her there, 9 times out of ten she will go when she gets there)

So, intelligence? Check!!

I don't have much experience with other parrots, had a conure about 10 years ago and ALfie is definitely quiter than he was! She has two vocal sessions a day - the rest of the time she is fairly quiet. her vocal sessions consist of her going through her entire vocabulary whistles, tunes, words - the lot!! And yes, she is usually loudest when the film you are watching is just coming to the bit that explains everything and inevitabley, you miss the punchline!!

Birdy dust. I have hay fever and am allergic to cat hair and I get on fine with Alfie's dust - and there is a fair bit of it!! I did wonder about that before we got her, but it hasn't been a problem.

Bathtimes. Alfie isn't nuts about water - but even at almost 2yo, we are making breakthroughs with the water all the time, and I have high hopes that she will someday enjoy a shower with me. She is starting to look for a running tap and spending time trying to be brave enough to jump into a shallow sinkful of water!

Quietness! Alfie is, on the whole, definitely not! She's into everything, explores everything, if you've got it, she wants it - if the dog has it, she wants it! I think she's a bit of a tomboy! Having said that, she still likes her quiet time with us of an evening where she will just sit on our knee and get a tickle before bed!

From a young age, Alfie has gone with us in the car with no objections. She will be pretty happy being where ever we are. She has a harness and will go for walks etc.

Toys, Little ones will be accepted by Alfie within a couple of day - sometimes immediately! Big one can take up to a month!!

Sorry for the long winded reply, but I hope it is helpful to you!

Oh my gosh, no worries! Not long-winded at all. :) That was INCREDIBLY helpful! The part about the allergies, noise and harness training/car travel was especially helpful. It's just what I was looking for.

The part about the quietness and noise level was also very helpful. I really have a hard time trying to put to words the level of playfullness/quietness I am looking for I guess, but what you said appeals to me :)

lol I guess it varies from bird to bird for the toy thing. The YN took a while to accept any new toys, big or small. The budgies, of course, never really cared. The tiels were a little cautious, not as bad though.

haha I don't know ANY animal that doesn't get loud during the quiet parts of a movie.

kittykittykitty wrote:

Yes, Greys have a lot of dust. Most members of my family have allergies. Spraying our Grey regularly, using Aloe vera juice to spray her and keeping the humidity up minimize the problem. No one in the family has had trouble tolerating her.

Dave is the one with the answers!

Yes! I am starting to understand that Dave is the man to go to for specific care questions. He came up with the aloe vera spray right? I just looked it up.

Thank you, that was helpful. I guess allergy issues aren't a huge concern for me now!

Hello and welcome to the forum family. Your questions show that you're really thinking this through and that's greyt:)

They do all seem to enjoy making water sounds. Dorian loves doing the sound of water running through the pipes in the house. I guess it must be an easy sound to master. They'll mimic whatever strikes their fancy and often it'll be a sound you're not crazy about. Microwave beeps, alarm clocks, dog barking, cell phone ringing, phone key-pad beeps. More than one person here has tried to answer a cell phone that isn't actually ringing:silly: Dorian arrived doing budgie, canary and cockatiel sounds, only at African Grey volume (thankfully that's almost totally stopped after two years)

If you have a grey directly from a good breeder you can make sure good habits are in place from the start. From reading the experiences of grey owners on this forum it seems to me that it is easier to introduce showers, travel cages, harnesses, new foods, new toys etc. . . to a baby than to an adult, but it really comes down to the individual birds' personality and the trust relationship between you. The only real consistant is change. Just when you think you've got your bird figured out it will come up with something totally new to befuddle you. That's what we're here for:P

They can be moody, even when they're not hormonal or molting. Just like a small child (or to be honest, any one of us) they can just wake up on the wrong side of the perch some days. You'll get to be able to read your individual bird and know when they need a hands-off day.

Acappella wrote:

Hello and welcome to the forum family. Your questions show that you're really thinking this through and that's greyt:)

They do all seem to enjoy making water sounds. Dorian loves doing the sound of water running through the pipes in the house. I guess it must be an easy sound to master. They'll mimic whatever strikes their fancy and often it'll be a sound you're not crazy about. Microwave beeps, alarm clocks, dog barking, cell phone ringing, phone key-pad beeps. More than one person here has tried to answer a cell phone that isn't actually ringing:silly: Dorian arrived doing budgie, canary and cockatiel sounds, only at African Grey volume (thankfully that's almost totally stopped after two years)

If you have a grey directly from a good breeder you can make sure good habits are in place from the start. From reading the experiences of grey owners on this forum it seems to me that it is easier to introduce showers, travel cages, harnesses, new foods, new toys etc. . . to a baby than to an adult, but it really comes down to the individual birds' personality and the trust relationship between you. The only real consistant is change. Just when you think you've got your bird figured out it will come up with something totally new to befuddle you. That's what we're here for:P

They can be moody, even when they're not hormonal or molting. Just like a small child (or to be honest, any one of us) they can just wake up on the wrong side of the perch some days. You'll get to be able to read your individual bird and know when they need a hands-off day.

Thanks for the welcome! Yes, I am really trying to think this through. :) I find it hard to imagine what parrot species would be best suited to me both now and 50 years from now, but I'm being realistic.

haha mimicking the water in the pipes? That's interesting and specific. There are all sorts of sounds here that I'm sure a grey would imitate. Good to know.

Yes, I agree. I am going to visit a place 3 hours away from me as they sound responsible and ethical. They have you visit the birds for however long it takes them to wean and you must go once a week. That, to me, shows they aren't in it just to make a buck, but I want to see it to beleive it lol. I talked to them for about 3 hours on two separate occassions, so they do seem knowledgeable.

I won't be making the decision for at least another month. If anyone knows of any breeders, I'm all ears. i want to explore all of my options.

I take my grey Josey with me when we travel out of state to visit my son and his family, it is about a 4 hour trip. She does just fine, I have her in a travel cage and she rides and plays with her bell and talks along the way, I think she enjoys being with us.

When you get your bird you should take it on short trips to get him/her accustomed to going places so he/she doesn't mind the travel cage, Josey goes in hers with no problem.

judygram wrote:

I take my grey Josey with me when we travel out of state to visit my son and his family, it is about a 4 hour trip. She does just fine, I have her in a travel cage and she rides and plays with her bell and talks along the way, I think she enjoys being with us.

When you get your bird you should take it on short trips to get him/her accustomed to going places so he/she doesn't mind the travel cage, Josey goes in hers with no problem.

Thanks for responding :) That's encouraging that at least one grey does well on a car ride, 4 hours even! The most I'd be traveling is 4 hours, but honestly, whatever parrot I decide to get will come with me to work at least once a week and I'll likely try to take it with me as much as I can so it can get used to everything.

What does your travel cage look like/how big is it?

Hello,

We have had our newly adopted Grey about 6 weeks now, and she is settling in just fine,. She keeps company with four cockatiels, and tow parakeets, in the living room/bird room. We leave on the T.V. for them when we are not home, they watch PBS Spout Channel. Pongo now has picked up the squeaky toy voice of one of the puppets already. Jason and I work eight hours a day, we leave about 6:30 in the morning and are home usually by 6:00pm. Pongo is then taken out and gets dinner , eats and spends time out of the cage with us before her bed time at 8:30. She does not seem any worse for the wear. Her previous parents worked out of home and spent more time with her, and I think in some cases too much time, now she has time to herself and seems better adjusted. Each bird is it's own individual and this so far has worked out for everyone. I also am off often through the week oadn on those days Pongo spends much of the day playing outside her cage. We have spent plenty of money on her new toys and change those out regularly to keep her busy little mind going when we are not at home.

So in short this work out for us I don't think she is lacking for attention is better behaved, is eating better, and plays independently on her own, but it was a big commitment for us to make the decision to bring her in and make sure everyone including Pongo had adequate time, and attention.

Our best to you.

Troy and Pongo.

Welcome to the forum :)

My TAG Yoshi is 10 months old now, and I love her to death. I believe she is on the brink of talking, as she makes extremely weird gremlin noises all the time now, but nothing at all clear. It is pretty funny to hear her! I can understand wanting someone to talk to and communicate with… I feel like Yoshi is so smart, she really understands moods and I try not to be around her if I am not happy or frustrated, because I feel she picks that up… and I know I’m not crazy lol because others here say the birds pick up on their moods too :P

As far as sounds go, Yoshi is usually not all that loud… she yells contact calls if I am not in the room and needs constant reassurance that I am still able to talk to her, lol… she makes a lot of cute little squeaks and now all that gremlin talk…

Dust: Yoshi does create a lot of dust, for sure, but nothing unbearable and she does get 3 showers a week with me and that helps for sure! Yoshi seems to be in the middle between tolerating the shower and enjoying it… her favorite seems to be a quick soaking in the shower followed by new fresh cold water bowls (If there is ice in them she loves it all the more) that she goes straight for and splashes around it. Greys like cold water :)

Yoshi is shy around new people, but warms up to them before long and is curious enough to go to them… she just doesn’t like fast movements and therefore is a little awkward around kids…

Yoshi has been on monthly road trips since we got her, and never seems to mind… she cuddles up in a blanket in our cat carrier type travel cage, and either zones out, nibbles at a shredder toy we always put in there, or makes soft squeaks and listens to us :) She knows that she always gets spoiled on the other end of the trip :P She has never traveled more than 40 minutes straight though.

Yoshi has seemed a bit hormonal lately… but my husband has more trouble with that then I do. I can see she isn’t happy being touched and just wants to be left alone, and now I stop my attempt to touch her, ask for a kiss, and give her a peanut or a grape or something if she does. Then I go about my own business and leave her to play. My husband seems to want to be the one trying his luck by not leaving her alone, lol.

Hope that’s helpful, and once again hope you enjoy the forum! I sure do! :)

wdizneguy wrote:

So in short this work out for us I don't think she is lacking for attention is better behaved, is eating better, and plays independently on her own, but it was a big commitment for us to make the decision to bring her in and make sure everyone including Pongo had adequate time, and attention.

Our best to you.

Troy and Pongo.

Thank you for sharing :) That's nice of you to buy/rescue a second-hand parrot. I'm glad Pongo is doing well. It is certainly a big decision, especialyl when other animals are involved as you pointed out. Toys are very expensive and you almost need a second fund just for that lol

judygram wrote:

I got my cage from the Country Roost, an online bird store, they have two sizes and they are collapsible, here is the link:

http://www.thecountryroost.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=28_29&osCsid=bdf72fe56d2c9878852b29405186cc3d

I also take Josey to work with me sometimes, she enjoys being with me.

Thanks! That seems like a neat little cage. The fact that it collapses is a very nice feature.

jessdecutie18 wrote:

Welcome to the forum :)

My TAG Yoshi is 10 months old now, and I love her to death. I believe she is on the brink of talking, as she makes extremely weird gremlin noises all the time now, but nothing at all clear. It is pretty funny to hear her! I can understand wanting someone to talk to and communicate with… I feel like Yoshi is so smart, she really understands moods and I try not to be around her if I am not happy or frustrated, because I feel she picks that up… and I know I’m not crazy lol because others here say the birds pick up on their moods too :P

As far as sounds go, Yoshi is usually not all that loud… she yells contact calls if I am not in the room and needs constant reassurance that I am still able to talk to her, lol… she makes a lot of cute little squeaks and now all that gremlin talk…

Dust: Yoshi does create a lot of dust, for sure, but nothing unbearable and she does get 3 showers a week with me and that helps for sure! Yoshi seems to be in the middle between tolerating the shower and enjoying it… her favorite seems to be a quick soaking in the shower followed by new fresh cold water bowls (If there is ice in them she loves it all the more) that she goes straight for and splashes around it. Greys like cold water :)

Hope that’s helpful, and once again hope you enjoy the forum! I sure do! :)

Thanks for the welcome! Love the name :) What made you choose a TAG over a CAG?

haha love the bathing example. I guess there are a few water greys out there. I'm sure it depends on exposure.

Thanks for the welcome! Love the name :) What made you choose a TAG over a CAG?

haha love the bathing example. I guess there are a few water greys out there. I'm sure it depends on exposure.

I guess part of choosing a TAG was that my husband had never handled a bird before, unlike me, and was far less intimidated by the TAG :) We were still undecided, but then we found these little baby TAGs in a store 30 minutes away and fell in love... our Yoshi in particular seemed to take to both me and my husband... we knew after two long visits to that store that Yoshi was the one we wanted :)

Also, yes, I also think it depends partially on exposure... Yoshi never freaks out to water because she is used to it, where as my Quaker parrot I used to have was terrified of the shower... the bathing in her water bowls has only started in the last month though :) I think she finally realized that she can get in them without drowning lol<br><br>Post edited by: jessdecutie18, at: 2010/02/03 04:17