NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

African Grey in the Snow

JillyBeanz

Oh my gosh...that poor thing!!! I'm sorry but that's borderline abuse. Their not built for that kind of thing.

I've posted that link to my Facebook page, and asked that if anyone out there sees someone doing that to their parrot to give them a firm smack in the face and call them an inconceivable idiot.<br><br>Post edited by: chimaysmommy, at: 2010/01/26 20:47

Ok, you sucked me in Jill. :P

The person that owns this Grey is a very experienced breeder with several pairs of Greys housed outdoors.

The Grey is fully flighted and could have flown anytime it wished.

It is only for a minute or two, so it was an experience the grey found interesting at the least, I think.

Ha Ha! There is always one who presses buttons to go further isn't there!!! Why do you have to be so quick!!!

I still wouldn't do it though - two weeks ago the whole of Britain came to a standstill in this snow - never mind throwing a tropical bird into the mix!! I've had my heating on for weeks during the day to keep Harvey warm - I'm just going to put his cage in the back garden when I go to work!!! :P

Why doesn't the bird fly away though? Because his central nervous system has closed down due to the cold and his brain isn't functioning :P

I read also that she houses her breeder greys outside - my question is HOW! It's bloody freezing here in the UK!!!! (always)!!! ;)

Oh - and just an addendum - I was only reading their forum when ours was down - I promise!!! :laugh:<br><br>Post edited by: JillyBeanz, at: 2010/01/26 21:04

I don't see any problem with this for a few minutes. The feathers provide brilliant insulation. My main concern would be for the parrots feet but seeing how Misty can handle ice cubes with no problem even they would be fine for a short period.

The bird is in good health and fully able to fly off if it felt distress.

Steve n Misty

jessdecutie18 wrote:

I can't look at this at work, so I have no idea what you guys are talking about lol...

It's a African Grey out in the snow that looks very, very cold.

At least, to me, it looks freezing!!!! It's got it's feathers puffed out and wings out and was walking around, shivering.

I guess where I'm from when it's snowy, there is a harsh freezing cold wind and I don't know how our birds do it here much less a bird who isn't used to it!<br><br>Post edited by: Jingles, at: 2010/01/28 00:45

These birds are pretty adaptable, and I think many folks don't understand their natural climate.

A grey can certainly take 45 seconds of snow. they're more insulated than you might think.

However, being fully flighted without a harness outside... but that's a totally separate issue. Could be 75 degrees outside... I'd never do what she did.

That parrot does belong to an experienced breeder that is very careful with her birdies, im also on a forum she started. I can see where everyone is coming from about the birdie being out in the cold but it was only for a minute to let her see it and how many of us let our human kids play out in it for hours til theyre blue. I would have loved to let mine see it in the flesh without the window seperating them. After saying that im with Jingles, i have to leave my heating on low for them during the night in case theyre cold and i also have a bald dog that needs to keep warm after a skin infection killed her hair follicles a few months ago. I really hate my house being warm during the night but fids and dog need to be kept warm.

In my eyes:

Abusive: Taking the bird out on a 36-40F day with windchills and heavy rain, letting the animal get soaked to the skin, for more than 10 minutes (like you're out for a walk damn the weather, the bird is coming too).

Questionable but not abusive: giving the bird 10 minutes of playtime in fresh snow.

Naturally I'd be worried about germs and stuff in the snow, but, there have been reports of B&G Macaws surving 3-4 Boston winters with annual reports of the bird being seen IN THE WINTER.... so... I think that we're a little over protective sometimes.

Now if the bird was left in a cage out in this, that's abuse.