NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I think I need more help with Francis :(

trail_rider

Now if this isn't anything feel free to point and laugh, but I just noticed this on Francis and I want to be sure that he is okay. I am a worry wart and I am sure you guys have come to know that!

It isn't everyday I see a naked bird, so maybe this is supposed to be there. Please help me ease my mind!!! 100_2553.JPG

100_2553.JPG

If he is otherwise acting and eating normally then it can wait until Monday, most vets have an emergency number when someone can be reached on the weekends but this isn't bleeding so in my opinion it can wait.

Only a vet can diagnose what that could possibly be and none of us are vets, Dave has already gave you a couple of possibilities and none of them are emergencies at the moment.

You know this really is scary to think that you may have found out something is wrong with Francis and you may never have noticed it if he hadn't been missing his feathers, what might the rest of us miss that have fully feathered birds, make you wonder. I do hope it turns out to be nothing to worry about.

Judygram-you are right! Had his feathers been grown in I would have never seen it. I do hope that it is nothing. I have a phone call and an email in to the lady I got him from. I figured it was worth a shot. Maybe since she has had a total vet workup done on him she already knows what it is.

I really hope he is going to be okay....i dont know what i would do if anything ever happened to him.

This poor guy has been through so much and i just want nothing more than for him to have a forever happy life!

No way guys you will never believe this! Rocky has lost alot of feathers due to molting and plucking:( well when i was rubbing the back of his head tonight (which he NEVER lets me do?) This is excatly the same sight i saw! i have just came online for a bit of help and noticed this post. It looks like an air sac, very soft and smooth, absolutly no feathers or pin feathers.

It was late last night when i was on here so Rocky was sleeping.Thought it best to let him sleep and maybe get a photo of it this morning. No such luck, It has gone??? was maybe twice the size as the lump on francis and right in the centre of the back of his neck. My partner really thinks i imagined it as he wasnt home last night:unsure:So i came on here to show him the picture of francis. I will call the vet first thing monday morning. I have searched the internet with no results. so i am at a complete loss as to what is happening guys. Maybe it is an air sac and only noticable on birds with no feathers there? Because the area has no sign of feathers ever being there or any dry skin on it. would love to know if anyone else has ever seen this?

This thread has been driving me crazy, so I waited to post until I could find out what the heck this could possibly be.

It seems birds have "Air Sacks", well that was news to me, but heck, I am not an Avian vet :P

The more we learn about our birds, we see they are physically so much different than us and thus we in trying to figure out in human terms "Whats" wrong, we make many uneducated guesses. :-)

Thus, Dave's original response to get that bird to an avain vet is what all responses should be, when we have no clue what is really wrong.

The bottom line is you need to get in to an Avian vet:

From this site below concerning this

"Ruptured Air Sac"

http://www.petparrot.com/Injuries.htm#Ruptured Air Sac

When this happens, it can take from a few days to a couple of weeks for the air sac to heal, depending on the age of the bird. For this baby, it was a matter of about 3 days. Until the air sac heals, the air must be allowed to escape from under the skin so that the crop and other organs can function normally.

To do this, an incision must be make in the skin, and a tube inserted and secured to allow drainage of the air. The tube is necessary because the opening in the skin will begin to heal in a matter of a couple of hours requiring it to be reopened. The picture to the right shows the baby with a tube insert into the slit made for drainage(indicated with an arrow).

The tube is taped to hold it in place. In this picture, the baby's crop has been filled with food, but as you can see the skin is no longer transparent. After the air sac was healed (about 3 days), the tube was removed, and the incision healed.

After less than a week, the scab from the incision fell off without even leaving a scar. The baby recovered beautifully, and very quickly caught up to his clutchmates in size and development.

In an older bird, the drainage would have to be done in a way that the bird could not remove it. It may be necessary to make two incisions in order to make a loop of either string or a tube that is folded and taped on the ends to keep the drainage holes open. This procedure, whether for a baby or an older bird, should be done by an avian vet to reduce risk of complications and infection."

From this site:

http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/anatomy.html

" There are eight air sacs in most species of birds. There are one cervical and one clavicular air sac, and two cranial thoracic, two caudal thoracic, and two abdominal air sacs. Occasionally, an air sac may rupture, and the bird may develop air under the skin (subcutaneous emphysema) or a large swelling of air in the neck region. When a bird is surgically sexed, the left caudal thoracic air sac is entered by the endoscope.

The air sacs allow for easily visualization of the internal organs, usually, and the membrane between the caudal thoracic and abdominal air sacs may need to be punctured by the scope, to better visualize the gonad. Usually the scope in entered to be able to visualize the left gonad.

If the trachea is blocked in a bird having breathing difficulties, or if surgery must be performed around the head and neck, it is possible to insert an air sac tube into one of the air sacs, allowing the bird to breathe through that, instead of the trachea.

Our breathing only takes one breath to completely exchange the air in our lungs, while it takes a bird two breaths to completely exchange the air in the system. This is why an air sac tube can be used for breathing in a bird."

I found a site with a very good write up and graphic illustration of air sacks in birds: http://people.eku.edu/ritchisong/birdrespiration.html

Photo showing air sacks:

bird_lungs.gif<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2010/01/24 14:42

OMG Dan that looks and sounds serious, I initially thought of air sacs but I am no vet either and when we don't know it is best left for the bird to be seen by an avian vet, we can only guess.

I haven't noticed it on Josey but Sunny my conure does have a place on her neck that doesn not have any feather follicles in it, I thought it was a place that was missing them, you know a defect but maybe it was never meant to have feathers there. You can't tell it is there unless you more the feathers back and look, it is invisible otherwise.

Read Dans post there and started to really panic. Cant get my vet till monday so called my breeder instead to see what she thought about Rocky. Now this may not be true about Francis so please take him to the vet as i am going to do asap.

First thing she asked me was what was Rocky doing yesterday, He had a shower in the afternoon then i wrapped him in a towel to try some Aloe vera gel on his very dry skin this is the first time i have done this.

So my breeder says that maybe i didnt wrap him in the towel properly causing the air that he was breathing in to get trapped??? And as the lump is now away then it had dispersed itself. because if it was an infection or a rupture then it would still be swollen.

I feel really bad now for being so stupid to wrap him up in a towel. i really thought i was helping him:(

But i will let yous know what the vet says in the morning.

I too, contacted the lady that I got Francis from. She feel that it was just trapped air as well and to keep an eye on it. I am still going to call my vet first thing in the morning to get him in.

How is rocky doing?

Francis has been himself- playing, eatting, being silly.

I'll say it again. Guess work and amateur diagnosis is the wrong way to go. Many other problems can be dealt with by oneself especially if many other people on a board have the exact same problems and a common solution was arrived at.

This isn't one of those common situations. True, it may be minor, it may be major but a vet is the one that should tell an owner about what's there.

Some others have seen the problem on their birds and they never knew that it was there until this thread was started.

By the way, as this thread progressed I looked at all of my birds yesterday in the same areas ( actually in more areas than just that area) and none of them had any bumps, cysts, tumors anywhere but if they did, I would go to the vet. Even one of my birds that originally had serious feather/skin problems from the past also didn't have anything that was visible.