NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Two questions???

Kevin

How do you end or stop a thread. Does it just die out or does the starter have to stop it somehow?

Dorian has been a docile, sweet non-biting bird until last night. He is going through his first molt and has been acting normal. Last night he just started biting my hands and even going after my face. His routine is to sit on my stomach in the eve. and preen and play. Last night he was extremely agitated and just was in a foul mood. Is this normal when they molt? He is 13 months old now and I've not seen this behavior in him ever. Is there something I should be doing or will this pass. I put him on his tree when he started biting and told him no. He would not remain there and kept finding his way back to me and would be good for a few minutes and then it started all over again. I continued to put him back several times on his tree and then finally just put him to bed.

Thanks for any help or advice on this.

Kevin

Kevin wrote:

How do you end or stop a thread. Does it just die out or does the starter have to stop it somehow?

A thread never dies, it remains here for posterity, as long as no one posts another reply to it it goes further back in the pages of history but it remains forever as long as the forum exists.

To answer your other question yes it is normal for them to be irritable when they are molting, those pin feathers are uncomfortable but you did the right thing to remove him if he was biting you and especially going for your face.

Have you tried using the aloe vera juice and spraying him down with it several times a week, it usually helps them feel less itchy when molting.

Thank you for you advice and input. He is much better now and is back to his old self. I will spray him down more frequently with the aloe vera juice. I had been doing it just once a week, but will now increase his sprayings. Thanks again, Kevin

Greys can have bad days just like we sometimes do and we need to respect the fact that they may not want to be handled and touched like always, the proof is in the statement that he is back to his old self. Keep that in mind the next time he acts that way.

More frequent sprayings and higher humidity will help with the pin feathers and make him feel more comfortable.

Sometimes they just get in a mood (which is another thing that makes their comparison to human children easy) He's also getting older and probably wanting to have more control over what he does, and trying to push the boundaries of what he's allowed to get away with. Add a moult to that and you're going to see some new behaviour from him. You reacted great. Just be consistant and calm and he'll figure out the rules. That's the good news. The bad new is, just like a human child, he'll then find a new boundary to test. At least with these guys it's never boring:P

Thanks again for the information and input. African Greys are certainly one of the most interesting and fascinating creatures. I bought him a stacking toy that is really for children. I thought it would take me a long time to teach him to remove the round doughnuts. I showed him once and now he removes them all the time. I've showed him how to put them back on, but as to date, he hasn't attempted that task yet. I bought it because I read that it helps to connect brain synapses and will help with him to conncect words together. He is talking but has yet to say a complete phrase. Mostly it's Hi Dory or Dory good boy. I can't express how much I enjoy him. They are so fun to watch and interact with.

Kevin

Kevin wrote:

I can't express how much I enjoy him. They are so fun to watch and interact with.

Kevin

That's fine Kevin - we know! They are such a joy and he's showing you what a great companion they are. Their minds are second to none. I'd only had Harvey a few weeks when he learned how to undo the catch on his cage - certainly now it is locked!!!

Great to hear you and he are getting on so well :)<br><br>Post edited by: JillyBeanz, at: 2010/01/27 19:24

Kevin wrote:

I've showed him how to put them back on, but as to date, he hasn't attempted that task yet.Kevin

Kevin, Kevin, Kevin, haven't you figured it out yet? Your job is toy assembly. Dorian is strictly in the demolition business. It's a lot more satisfying to pick apart a toy and fling the pieces in interesting directions than it is to put the toy carefully back together. It's not that he hasn't figured out how to do it, he has just assigned job descriptions. Yours is now oficially Slave of Dorian. Resign yourself to it:laugh:

danmcq wrote:

[quote

Kevin - He knows how to put them back on....but he's training you to do it for him! :P

So how do we get them to put the rings back on? Alfie has one of these too, but also shows no interest in putting them on after the fun of throwing them off. I've stopped putting them back on for her so the game is finished once they're off, but would love to see her put one back on again - I just don't know how to go about it!!

pearllyn wrote:

So how do we get them to put the rings back on?

It can be done using rewards along with showing him how to do it.

Much like I taught Dayo to turn the water off. IN that video, I am sure you saw me offering an Almond as the reward he had to climb up the faucet and step onto the handle turning the water off and getting his reward.

He now does it simply for the praise. :-)

He also has a toy box he throws over and dumps everything out of. I did have him placing a few items back in, but then I think the boring job of picking up 45 toys and pieces he just stopped doing it. :P

I guess he figured at that point it was "work" and that is for slaves..... ;-)