NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The Oldest African Grey?

JillyBeanz

Everyone reads intently about how CAGs/TAG and the ages they reach in both the wild and in captivity, but generally when people discuss them on forums etc they are all relatively young - nobody seems to have an "old" CAG or TAG.

With reports that they reach between 30 and 60 does anyone have or know anyone who has CAGs/TAGs between these ages (or older)?

When I was looking around the internet for information about ages etc I came across a story about a guy that owned an 86 year old CAG - it was bought from Harrods, London, and was passed through the family on the death of each owner. She laid for the first time at 44 years old,and made the sound of bombs coming down as she was kept in London during world war 2!

I know this is an astonishing age - but where are the "older" parrots?

Hi, great to hear about the 86 year old, my parrot Kobo is 38 years old and she has lived with me for 34 of those years. I say she because she hates women and children but seems to get on with men.

She was born in Nigeria on16 March 1974 and a friend bought her there and when they moved back to the UK she had to be quarantined for 6 months and we were asked to look after her after this in 1978.

Like your parrot mine also does the bomb noises because I taught her that shortly after we got her, she also sings pop goes the weazle, tells us she loves us and various other things.

She loves fried eggs, and I know they are not really supposed to have chocolate but she has always eaten it and loves it, she also often eats apple pie and custard, as I put a small dish in her cage when we have it.

I hope she lives many more years yet, she gives us a lot of laughs and annoyance at times.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Steve and welcome. :)

Wow, Kobo is probably the oldest grey on this forum! I suppose most new grey owners come to forums because they literally do not know how to properly care for their new grey. Thus the reason most posts are from owners that have just gotten them or are experiencing changes as they age between years and years 1 - 5. Grey owners as yourself probably have very little use for a foru, like this other than having a place to share stories of your and socialize with other grey owners. Those of use who are still here over the years enjoy reading others stories, helping new grey owners etc.

I hope to hear more from you and perhaps see some photos or videos you might like to share of Kobo. :)

I wish I knew what sort of parrot my great grand father had........ my grand mother told me her father had a parrot that he brought with him everywhere. one night the home caught fire and my great grandfather got all his children out safe then went back in for his bird and they both died in the fire. I was thinking just a few days ago about how odd it would be to own a parrot back then. as this would have been over 120 years ago. I wonder what kinds of parrots where kept as pets back then. would love to see kobo!