NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I did it!!!! pics of Dorian and his friends

Kevin

I figured it out finally. Here is Dorian and his buds. They all got a long fine and became quite tame. I will share more of him, but where is the best place to post his pics? Thanks for all your help. I didn't realize that I needed to put the code right into the message. I had been putting it in where it said browse. AnywaDorianchipandbunny008-1.jpgy, glad it's working. Kevin

dorysfirstbd004.jpg

DorianSwimming013.jpg

Dorian's first birthday and his swimming adventure. Cake is a pinapple, pear, grapes, raisins and red leaf lettuce. Dorian is very social and outgoing. I worked on socializing him since he was a baby and it has paid off. He likes everyone. That may change as he matures, but I'm hoping that he'll continue to be outgoing. Time will tell. Enjoy the pics and I'm so happy to be able to share them. Kevin

judygram wrote:

Lyn I think that is a rabbit there in the picture and not a chipmunk.

LOL Judy, there's actually a chipmunk there too. I didn't see it either until I looked a second time.

Kevin, Dorian is a cutie, I can tell he's a spoiled boy. Just something to think about. He's clipped, but I'd reconsider taking him outside without a harness. It's amazing the lift even a clipped bird can get if they're startled by something. They catch a breeze and all of a sudden you're in the middle of a nightmare trying to find him. Do some searching here of other members who have lost a clipped bird. This isn't meant as a critisicm, I can tell you're a great parront. We all care about each other's pets and would hate for something to happen to your Dorian.

I couldn't agree more. I have done the reading about clipped birds getting lost. I researched the aviator harness, which seems to be what most people believe to be is the best. I have ordered one and fully plan on using it. He is molting out now and getting his new flight feathers. I am debating whether to let him become flighted or continue to clip him. I read on this forum that flighted greys rarely pluck and that it is better emotionally for them. Since he will be harnessed, I may let him keep those feathers. I guess it depends upon how successful the harness is.

Thanks for the advice.

Kevin

Glad to hear you decided on an Aviator Harness. :-)

It comes with a very informative dvd on how to introduce it to your bird. Please follow the instructions completely and be very patient, to ensure you do not make your Grey uncomfortable in the sense of having a bad experience at any point.

The reason I am saying this, is at 1 year old, your grey will not be nearly as accepting as a baby.

Once a bad experience is encountered, it will be nearly impossible to ever get that harness on your bird again and take twice as long from then on.

Like all critters. When they have a bad experience with any object, they run for the hills the next time it's brought out. :-)<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2010/01/29 14:50