NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How do they re-learn to fly?

rbpittman

Ok, so I have the dumbest question of all today. How do you teach a bird to fly or how do they re-learn to fly? Dixie was clipped when I got her and I don't know if she was ever allowed to fly. She has now gone through a major molt and has all of her flight feathers back. I thought this would take forever, but we have been lucky and it has been less than 9 months. Dixie doesn't seem to express any interest in flying, even though Blue and Bean fly throughout the room constantly. My husband will be building an outdoor flight for her and the others when the weather warms up (and when he gets back from Maine) and we want her to be able to enjoy it as much as the other three will.

Thanks,

Robin<br><br>Post edited by: rbpittman, at: 2010/01/18 21:19

When I got Ana Grey she was clipped and after a year of waiting she finally got all her flights back. I would just have her on my arm and launch her short distances to the couch or her hanging perch until she got stronger. There is a video here somewhere with Ana Grey practicing these short "flights". Ana Grey flys all over the place now and it is beautiful to see!!!! Karma to you and good luck with Dixie's new adventure!!!

This is just another one of those situations showing the bad side of clipping.

They may eventually fly after all of their muscles are strong and they start to feel resistance when flapping while sitting. Coordination is something the bird develops on it's own so that's the reason for so many crashes in the beginning.

Many birds won't show any interest in flying if they've gotten used to everything around them that didn't require flying. It really doesn't matter whether other flyers are around. An aviary might help as far as enjoying it but if the bird doesn't wanna fly, an aviary won't change her mind.

Regrowing flight feathers doesn't mean that a bird may change it's mind. Maybe yes, maybe no. You need to be prepared for all of that and remember that it's really you that's more worried about the flying than her. If she's happy the way things are she may not have the desire to do extra things.

PS--this doesn't only apply to greys. Many other species clipped and wind up in the same situation.

Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2010/01/18 21:34<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2010/01/18 21:36

Thanks Dave, you're absolutely right about it being my issue with her flying, not hers, she has boings and ladders and ropes to get around on, so flying probably isn't a priority for her. All those were put into place because she was clipped and I didn't want her to feel trapped any one place. She has been working her wings more and more - especially when on my fingers, flapping and flapping but not letting go. She has launched off her cage once since I posted, getting about half-way across the room with a crash landing of course. No matter, flighted or not, I love her to death.

In case you don't know it, the reason that he's constantly flapping without flying is because nature is tell ing the bird that he/she doesn't have what it takes to fly yet. A reverse uplift has to happen and only the bird will feel it. When it happens it will actually be difficult for the bird to hang on. It will fly. It will feel like a bird who's using everything that nature has supplied. That will be the time to fell complete.

There will be little coordination because of not flying but only time will correct that problem.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2010/01/24 19:34

Robin, as Dave says - the flapping and flapping is her strengthening herself up in prep for flying. If she is launching herself off her cage she is at least showing an interest and may just need to refine her skills!!

Do what Janet has suggested and just give her short distances at first - maybe sit her on the back of a chair while you move a couple of paces away and encourage her to fly to you so you can help with the landing. If she wants to, and it sounds like she does, she will do it, and the bond between you will just grow.

It'll be so exciting watching her find her wings! Keep us posted!

Dave is right, from day one Ana Grey tried to fly and would jump off her cage and land on the floor. She was always flapping her wings and trying to fly. Constantly testing her muscles and strengthening them. She always wanted to fly that's how headstrong she is. Dixie will fly, if she wants to. I stopped worrying about Ana Grey crashing after the first few times. She is a bird after all and they if anyone does, know how to land. I just let her do it. Watching her turn and hover is so beautiful and worth the long wait. I wish Dixie oodles of luck with her flying.

Thanks all - this is new to me, so of course I'm over anxious.

Dave, she's doing exactly what you're saying - flapping and flapping with no uplift, but her hold on my fingers is not nearly as tight as it was last week.

She sits on the edge of her porch and looks at me, as if she wants to get to me (I'm in a chair about 5 feet away) and I encourage her, but she hasn't decided to take off yet. Like Dave said, she's not got enough there yet I guess. We'll let Dixie decide when it's right for her to let go and fly, if that's what she chooses to do.

My youngest 2 have never been clipped, however for some reason Bella became unable to fly after she had mastered it. She wasnt plucking or anything. She has recently tried again and is mastering the art at last. Chocko was clipped from a young age we think and despite having full feathers again she still cant do it, she rarely even attempts as she is now a master at climbing anything to get to where she wants.

Well I won't say she "flew" but she flew! Dixie was startled tonight by a sound outside (loads of wind knocked the trash can over) and she went from her cage to Beau's cage - landing on his porch - very elegantly. She even made a turn to make the porch, otherwise she would have hit the cage itself. I say she didn't fly because I don't believe it was her intention to fly, just a reflex. I'm hoping that since she didn't fall from the jump, that she will now give flying a whirl. She has been using her wings to walk up my arm now, flapping as she scuttles up and quite content when she gets on my shoulder.

Robin

Congratulations Dixie and Robin, how exciting!!!

Now e have another thread going on the progress of a previously clipped bird regaining those primaries through many trials and the struggles that come with it.

Thanks for the updates and keep them coming! This will be another valuable resource for others that walk down this path. :-)

Karma to you for such loving devotion.

Well I finally get to say Dixie Flew! This was a purposeful flight even! Yesterday she climbed up on top of my laptop monitor and as she flapped her wings, she went further up into the air. Then she navigated out of the door and into the hallway. Unfortunately, the wall was there and she misjudged the cornering and came back down, but I believe it was intentional!

Today, and I was watching, Dixie hollered "Mom" and as I turned around to say yes, she took off from her porch and landed perfectly on my arm! I was in tears and shock because it happened so fast. I think she was extremely proud of herself as she quickly gave me kisses and took off again, back to her cage.

YES! DIXIE FLEW AND SHE WANTS TOO!

She needs lots of practice to build up to longer flights (these all were less than 20 feet), but we spent some quality time flapping and flapping and flapping while hanging onto my fingers. To rest, she hung upside down from them...lol

Robin

rbpittman wrote:

Today, and I was watching, Dixie hollered "Mom" and as I turned around to say yes, she took off from her porch and landed perfectly on my arm! I was in tears and shock because it happened so fast.

Wonderful news and a joyous occasion!!!

Congratulations Dixie and Robin, well done!!! :-)

Congrats to Dixie on her flights! ... isn't it nice when your fid calls "mom" and comes to you ? She sounds like a happy camper :-) Now the neural pathways need to be built and her cardiovascular needs to improve through practice. Those are reasons for the seemingly slow progress (to us) but truly magnificent progress you are seeing in Dixie.

I've recently heard of a breeder who is imping the flight feathers of parrots to allow them to fly if their humans have changed their minds about clipping. It allows the parrot to begin retraining for flight ... developing the neural pathways of the brain sooner and keeping the muscle mass from being lost.

A B&G that was imped shortly after being clipped began flying again almost immediately. If the bird was clipped before the neural pathways formed and left clipped for the first year (until the first molt) ... they may fly, but never as naturally as a bird that was full flighted from birth.This has to do with neural pathway development, but also with muscle mass and with cardiovascular. If the feathers are restored quickly through imping, brain damage can be avoided and heart/lung and muscle mass developed nearly on a normal schedule.

I am SO happy you decided to let Dixie be flighted. Her personality can develop and she can be what she was designed to be.

One of the more interesting side effects of Dixie's learning to fly again, is a new closeness between us. Dixie has been my bird in name on, she prefers my husband and that's cool, but she has been coming to me more and more to practice flapping. This she won't do with my husband, she just wants to sit on him and be loved. She will leave me in a heartbeat to go to him, if he hands her off to me, she comes, but reluctantly and it's obvious. With this new event in her life, she's willingly coming to me to practice flapping. When she flew to my arm yesterday and then back to the cage I immediately went to her cage. She stepped up and flapped for a good five minutes before she was panting from all the exercise and ready to finally step down. Between her flapping exercises she was hanging upside down from my fingers, almost testing our trust, "Mom, don't let go!". I didn't. This thread is more than I had hoped it would be, it's a way to journal our experience, and a way to share my joy. Judy, there were ton's of tears, and they were great!

Robin

B) Spock here. When we fly, the world [or house] is ours, nothing is beyond our reach, [or beak] Wall boards, curtains, wall clocks and nick-knacks, ours to explore and play with [destroy]... Jay here, don;t listen to him. Flight, a true gift for both the bird and their caregiver...:) Spock here, your life [or house] will never be the same...[The re-decorator]:evil:

Spock

Live Long and Prosper:evil: :evil:

Unfortunately I don't have any new progress to report on Dixie. This week has been extremely busy with dr.'s appointments and I knew I wouldn't have as much time to spend with her. We have done some flapping daily, but her new love of flapping and hanging upside down has now turned into just hanging upside down and twisting around. I'm home for the rest of the week so maybe she'll surprise me with something new tomorrow or the next day.

Robin

I didn't have to wait until tomorrow to see Dixie fly. She did so twice today, extending her distance by about 3 feet. The first flight was from her cage to the top of Beau's cage - almost to the back of it. This was pretty cool as her lift off was from a lower spot on her cage - the door itself, not her porch or the top. Watching her gain height was glorious and instantaneous. The second flight I was ready for, well almost. I was standing at the door of my office and called her from Beau's cage. She didn't respond immediately, but she did take off. Unfortunately she didn't fly directly to me. She landed on Bean's & Blue's cage. This was not a good thing as they were both out and about on the top of their cage! With some gentle words of suggestion (No Dixie, off Blue's cage)did she finally step up (we had to employ the step-up stick - she refuses to step up on it, but will gladly step up on my fingers then - I only have to have it in my hand, never near her). I didn't get the chance to praise her as this is not a place for her to be! I shoo Bean off her cage any time he ventures in the wrong direction (Dixie is very cage territorial). It has been an eventful day to say the least and I was being deprived of her flights because I had not had enough time to spend with her for the last few days.

Robin