NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Amazon of the week, 1/17/10

Jayd

B) The Blue Beauties

Blue Mutation Yellow-Naped Amazon were originally found in Honduras in the wild where they occur naturally. Two young Blue Mutation were found [in two consecutive years] and in another stroke of luck, they turned out to be a male and a female! They are all blue where they would normally be green and they are white where they would normally be yellow or red. When two of these Blue Amazons are bred together, all of the offspring are always blue.These naturally occurring color morphs are precious. They are somewhat larger than a normal Yellow-Naped Amazon.

:P

Jay

BlueYellow-Nape1.jpg

blue_mutation_yellow_naped_amazon.jpg

blue_mutation_yellow_naped_amazo-1.jpg

blue_mutation_yellow_naped_amazon_b.jpg

blue-72new.jpg

{Feel-good-00020069}

Beautiful Rare Blue Zons. Thanks for posting this Jay!

The only thing upsetting about these beauties, is they are indeed VERY rare in the wild and like all rare birds in the wild. People can't wait to rob the nests of such an thus reduce the very low population in the wild.

Here is the background on these:

"At one point during the importation era, the search for the “mythical” Blue Amazon reached nearly epic proportions. Two wild pairs were found that produced this color mutation, but, although each pair occupied their same nests each season, a clutch with a blue baby might come only once in many years.

Voren’s vocation put him in Honduras at just the right time to acquire two young Blue Mutation Amazons from the separate wild nests in two consecutive years. In another stroke of luck they turned out to be a male and a female! At that time they were the only pair of Blue Mutation Amazons in the world. After years of expeditions, this pair was two of the only four specimens that existed in aviculture. The other two were long-term captive males that were proving difficult to pair with normally colored hens.

The years of anticipation became fruitful when Voren’s Blue Mutation Yellow-Naped Amazons became the first pair in the world to produce Blue Amazons in captivity. His project would allow him to place pairs of these fabulous birds in some of the worlds top breeding facilities. Three other reputable professional facilities have now successfully produced blue offspring from the blue bloodlines supplied by Voren’s efforts."

:) Thank you Dan and all the others for your comments. It is so nice to have everyone from all over the Grey Forum to participate in this room.

It is so sad that in some cases, there are more pictures than actual birds...:(

Don't forget, New Amazon coming next week...;)

Jay

• 7 months later...

I may be resurrecting an old thread, but I just thought at least a few people on this forum would be interested in this post I have to make...

I emailed a guy about the blue amazons, he seemed legitimate and whatnot so I guess I believe this email I got from him.

"Andy,

They are still quite rare. The cost is $12,000 per bird. That includes shipping expenses, a veterinary health certificate and genetic sex determination.

They all have turned out to be incredible talkers with extensive vocabularies. Much better than normal napes

The age they are shipped depends on the buyers expertise and desire.

If you can convincingly show that you are proficient at hand-feeding we are open to shipping them before they are weaned, otherwise you must wait until they're fully weaned. The price is the same.

They are all large in size and very hardy birds.

Some buyers have paid for their bird by sending in payments and when it is paid in full I ship.

Of course those are people that know me by my reputation and have the confidence to do that.

They breed once a year and the babies usually hatch in March. We currently have 1 female available

Feel free to ask more questions

Thanks for the interest,

Regards,

Howard Voren"

$12,000 for a bird....

I don't know, but the thought of parting with this amount of money to have a bird shipped to you seems really risky. Personally I would want to go, check out where they came from, what their habitat is like, talk to the breeder face to face, then if happy hand over the money to be given the bird in return in my hands. Unless shipping in this case means something different and I've got it wrong?

$12,000 does this make them the most expensive parrots on sale at the moment or are there others that top this?

I don't know, but the thought of parting with this amount of money to have a bird shipped to you seems really risky. Personally I would want to go, check out where they came from, what their habitat is like, talk to the breeder face to face, then if happy hand over the money to be given the bird in return in my hands. Unless shipping in this case means something different and I've got it wrong?

$12,000 does this make them the most expensive parrots on sale at the moment or are there others that top this?

The Red-Factor Grey, $125,000. FOR ONE, $200,000. FOR 2.....

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?190285-!-RED-GREY-forsale!&highlight=mutation

WOW, I cannot believe people would pay this amount just for a different coloured bird! Especially as this hybrid has not been around long enough to know the health and behaviour implications of cross breeding! I personally believe the traditional grey's are far prettier than the hybrid reds I think because they are not natural. Although I have to admit the blue Amazons are absolutely beautiful, maybe because they are a more natural cross over as they also appear in the wild.