NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Need HELP with Francis

trail_rider

I have been spraying Francis with aloe as suggested and he doesn't seem as dry. But just now I was sitting here talking to him while he is playing on his playstand and I noticed this patch on his side. What is going on??

When I first got him he was a LOT fuzzier than he is now. Now he is mostly naked but there are a lot of pins coming in. He used to talk like crazy and now he really doesn't say much. Can someone please shed some light on the subject for me?

That's a bloody area and you should wipe that off with warm water before it gets too caked up. Your bird may be molying but it's obvious to me that he's also plucking.

You'll need to go one step further concerning his feathers and skin. You'll need a certain product other than aloe vera spray.

-----------------------------------------------

Type in

AVITEC.COM

On the left, look for PLUCKING/SCREAMING---click on it

Third picture from left ( spray and jar in picture) click on it

there's 3 choices

1---premixed bottle

2--small jar, powder in it (8 oz)

3--large jar, powder in it (16 oz)

Check out description of product

-------

Get either 8 oz or 16 oz jar with powder in it. Stay away from premixed bottle

1 rounded teaspoon powder to 8 oz room temp water in a sprayer. Heavily soak your bird down once a day. If any remains in the sprayer, use it on any other birds sitting around. Discard what remains at the end of the day.

DO NOT order from AVITEC.COM because they don't ship by United States Postal Service. They only ship by UPS which costs much more S/H.

Go to ALLBIRDPRODUCTS.COM

Order the exact same product from them because they do ship by USPS. The S/H withh be half the amount.

I've worked with the product and it does work very well. I've also done a lot of business with All Bird

and you can also order by phone.

Dave- that says that it is for dry skin related picking. Will this still work for fracis? I am not sure if you recall but francis began plucking due to his original family leaving him behind for a 3week vacation.

obviously he is itchy because he is making himself bleed. if you think this stuff will work I will definately order it.

If Dave said it would help then trust him as he should know, he has pet and breeder greys and has many many years of experience dealing with all kinds of problems.

Now that I have looked at the picture more closely it does seem to be a bloody area possibly from that blood feather shaft that is right above the area, he is definitely plucking.

I know he is plucking. I feel horrible for him. the only reason I was questioning the product is because it is for dry skin related plucking. francis i am sure has dry skin, but that isnt the root of the problem as to why he is plucking in the first place.

I am not second guessing dave, i know that he is very knowledgable and has answered many of my questions thus far. 100_2443-7fb7cc6d47b5c802ec27244d57449d93.JPG

100_2443-7fb7cc6d47b5c802ec27244d57449d93.JPG

Yes I do think it'll work. I and frinds of mine have used it with good results. The only aeas you'll never see feathers in are the areas where the bird not only plucked the feathers but also plucked out the follicle. It's not a quick fix. It takes time and the other reason that you need a strong product is because you got this bird as a plucker so you really have no idea about his plucking habits.

I don't know if anyone remembersbut I posted 4 pictured of a grey that I received who didn't have any feathers at all other than his head. He looked like a plucked chicken that was ready for KFC. Besides other things I did with that bird, I also used this product. It's up to you. I don't normally recommend products but I've seen good results with it. PLUCK NO MORE is a total waste of money. At least think about unless you know of another method to stop that type of plucking.

9ed8-1.jpg

fe6a-pickingparrots-1.jpg

HPIM0386---parrotlinks-1.jpg

DSCN0148-1.jpg

3 yrs later

Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2010/01/17 19:24<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2010/01/17 20:07

dave. thank you for clearing that up for me. I will order it today. I just wasnt sure if the dry skin product was going to work on a behavioral plucker. I promise I am not doubting you I just wanted to be sure.

Your pictures that you posted are amazing. I do hope that Francis can make a recovery like the grey in your picture.

Everything is natural in it. It contains no seditives. I wouldn't ever recommend any product that has that type of chemical in it.

You can use the aloe but for now, use the product everyday. Aloe isn't gonna give the same results right now. You need to get the gel for that wound.

This is a picture of my friend's macaw. His wife is holding the bird. To her left is the same bird in the photo. Big difference. The bird was very messed up and had a short fuse because of the constant irritations all over the place. He also used it on 2 TOOs. The results were good. The only feathers missing were the ones that will never be there because the follicles were destroyed.

DSCN0058.jpg

Don't be sorry--apologies aren't necessary.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2010/01/17 20:35

Im glad to hear that it has no seditives in it because I already ordered it. I dont want to use seditives because that isnt going to fix the problem and it isnt fair to Francis.

that macaw made a total turn around!!

I got Francis cleaned up and it doesn't look as bad as i thought. What do you think of it now?

do I need to get PURE aloe gel to put on it?

100_2545.JPG

100_2545.JPG

Very good. Keep an eye out. Your bird may go back to that area because it's probably a little painful and obviously raw. Keep that area clean. Think about that gel. The product you ordered won't burn the skin or irritate open wounds. Keep your bird in an undrafty area when using it. No towel drying or blow drying. Let it absorb into the body.You should have no problem soaking him down since he doesn't have any more waterproof feathers left.

I will definately get the gel. I have to go into town for work tomorrow and will get it then. I am about 50miles from any civilization, so supplies are hard to come by with out significant travel.

I havent been drying him after spraying him...I soak him til he is dripping and then he sits in the sunshine in the middle of the living room on his playstand. If I am away for the day as soon as I open his cage door he is on his way out ready or not!! :) I cant wait for this product to get here! I hate to see him so uncomfortable that he makes himself bleed. :(

He's a plucker. You could go to the vet if you like to relieve your mind. That's up to you. You need to feel good about things. Me telling you what I would do isn't a good idea. I'm not there with your bird and telling you what to do over a PC board would be very irresponible on my part. I hope you can understand that. Certain types of advice and suggestions can be given on a board with no problems. Other things concerning medical issues or unseen injuries that need to be diagnosed should be done by a vet if you think it's warranted.

I'm sure you don't want the wrong advice.

Dave, I appreciate your advice and understand your not wanting to give the wrong advice.

I am not asking if I should take him to the vet because of his plucking. That has already been done. Tests have been done and he is perfectly healthy. The plucking is not from anything health realated. I was asking about the vet visit for this patch on his side. If I fet the aloe gel and put it on there and keep him clean, he should survive right? :) I wouldnt be doing anything wrong by not taking in him in? It isnt a big gapping wound or anything of the sort. as you can see from the last picture i posted.....his skin isnt torn it was just blood coming from the pins.