NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New to the site, getting our first grey soon

MrC

Welcome, MrC, to our family of grey owners, we are glad you found our site and looking forward to hearing more about your new grey. Are you getting a baby grey or an older bird? We have a lot of information here, feel free to read the various threads, but you can ask us any question you may have and we will do our best to give you an answer.

If you have a photo of your grey to post we would love that.:) :) :)

Hi & Welcome to our family! This is the best grey forum you'll find. Lots of information here. Just read away. We are all here to answer any questions you might have. Loads of great, helpful, experienced members here. And we have lots of fun sharing photos, stories, all kinds of things. Enjoy, and looking forward to hearing more about you.:)

WoW thank you for the welcome. Well to be honest we did some research on the pet shop we were going to purchase the Grey from and found that they were buying pre weened babies from a breeder and hand raising them there in the store. The most disturbing part is that they are allowing the general public to handle the babies. And just last week they took in a sick blue and gold macaw and placed in a plexi glass incubator right next to the grey babies. after the macaw died , the following day the two grey babies were moved right into the same incubator. So we have decided to not purchase the Grey from there shop instead we decided to go with The Royal Bird Company. has anyone had good luck with them ?

Thanks again

Guest Monique

Hi Mr. C. Welcome to our forum. What a horrible experience/story with the pet store :(. I have not heard of the Royal Bird Company but there are SO many breeders that that should not deter you. What I look for in a breeder is:

- Experience & love for the birds

- Hand feed them with a syringe (not a tube that goes down their throat)

- Allows them to fledge

- Weans them to pellets instead of seeds

And you have to also be careful because most of the breeders know these answers we are looking for so if you can visit in person that is great (we are rural and usually cannot).

Good luck!!!

Monique brings up some good points to look for in breeders, MrC, and I commend you for not purchasing from that store. That is appalling to me how they run their practice, showing no concern for the health and safety of their babies.

I know nothing of The Royal Bird Company but maybe someone here will know and can give you some information. Just check them out with the suggestions Monique gave you and go from there.

Let us know what you decide to do and we will be here to answer any questions you may have.:)

Hi MrC, welcome to our family. That is such a sad experience you saw at the pet shop. A lot of the shops don't care, or have the knowledge of the bigger birds.

Monique's list is a very good way to evaluate a breeder. Excellent info for you to use as a guide. We were lucky and found a breeder in our home town that is very good. Here is their website. www.sncparrotdise.com

They will ship, and from what I have seen, they are very responsible breeders. Very caring. They have about 30 birds, but no Greys. They get the Greys from a person who has a pair, and they raise them for them, and also sell them. They are very good people. Maybe they can help you.

We might get our Dayo in one more week. We have been visiting Dayo for about 6 weeks now, and the last 2 weekends we have brought him to our home for the day.

I wish you good experiences in searching for your Grey!

Kim