NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Why?

pearllyn

It might be a stupid question!

I've read a few threads lately about people who have rescued their grey from less than ideal circumstances, and are now having trouble with, say, the men in the house. Can anyone tell me why a bird as intelligent as an African Grey, if they have been mistreated by, say, their previous male owner, would then generalise all men to be evil? Will they not realise that the next man to take them in (who happens to be loving and gentle) is not the same as the last (evil) man? Or will they just be suspicious of all men until proven otherwise?

I wonder if it is more that a grey is a one person bird. Perhaps they were previously bonded to a female and therefore bond easier to another female. It is hard to tell what goes through a bird's mind or why they dot he things they do. Whisper is generally shy around strangers but will warm up to a female quicker than she will a male. I think it is because I am female and she is more confortable with a female voice and mannerisms.

Many years ago I had a bird that would not have anything to do with strangers who came to the house unless they were blond. He would go crazy in love for anyone with blond hair.

My take on this question:

All critters if abused by a certain gender will be very cautious to anyone of that gender. It was abused by a woman, it will probably take a long time for that critter to fully trust a woman. the same is true if it were a man.

They learn many things they feel are important to their survival and happiness growing up and during their lives. These things they have had to deal with that made them feel threatened, perhaps actual pain, starvation etc. leave impressions that will never go away fully.

They can be overcome with time and patience, as we all know. But, they will never be completely lost underlying feelings.

I have one Doberman for example that was abused by a man. To this day, if I get angry and raise my voice, though NOT directed at him. He will go hide somewhere and if he can't get away fast will start urinating.

It is sad to see the life long effects abuse has on critters. But, at least we can all help and love them whether the ever fully return that love or not. They will still be thankful for the safe and sane environment they are in with their new loving family.

I do need to add, this Doberman is glued to me at all times and wants to go everywhere I do. So it is possible to gain the full trust and love of a critter that has been abused by the same sex as you. It took almost 2 years to gain this valued trust, but the wait is always worth it. :-)<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2010/01/13 22:24

Some greys become very reclusive and bitchy in that situation and take on the characteristics of a nun. In general, nuns do intensely dislike men, hmmm, I mean most men although they do have a thing for that very, very special guy. I think his name is Pope. SO, the reason is probably that your grey is simply waiting for that special guy to swoop in after dark. Lets see..

How bout *Waiting for that special grey in knightly armor* Oooh la la.:kiss:<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2010/01/13 23:14

Dave007 wrote:

Some greys become very reclusive and bitchy in that situation and take on the characteristics of a nun. In general, nuns do intensely dislike men, hmmm, I mean most men although they do have a thing for that very, very special guy. I think his name is Pope. SO, the reason is probably that your grey is simply waiting for that special guy to swoop in after dark. Lets see..

How bout *Waiting for that special grey in knightly armor* Oooh la la.:kiss:<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2010/01/13 23:14

Lol ok ok Dave! So maybe it was a slightly silly question - it's not my grey tho - Alfie LOVES my man!!

And I can understand a dog never getting over it, I have a rescue who still gets a little nervey in certain circumstances, but greys are sposed to be more intelligent than a dog and it just doesn't make sense in my head how a grey doesn't work out, ok, that one was mean, but this one isn't.

I know they're all different and they won't all react the same way!

Just one of those little things I've been wondering about!

Thanks for all the replies!

One of the prime indicators of intelligence is an ability to lean from experience.

It makes sense that if a Grey has had a bad experience with a male human it would avoid similar situations. As a captive prey animal it is hard for it to get away so its last resort is an aggressive warning response.

They can learn to trust specific humans again but it takes care,patience and empathy to achieve it.

What fascinates me is that Greys are able to tell the difference between male and female humans bearing in mind that humans are so completely different from parrots in physical form.

Steve n Misty