NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

DNA testing

Sindbad

The short answer is: they should be capable.

However without the lab's cooperation, they may not be equipped to do that kind of testing, it's uncertain.

I like where you're going with this. I can tell your a very honest man, if I am ever in SoCal and need a car I will come see you.

Since you are asking if the results can come from a sexing test that occurred in the past, I think its extremely unlikely. It would be much more expensive for them to collect enough data from the sample to be able to do this, than just determining sex. Certainly give them a call to see though.

The problem is that even crime labs don't fully sequence DNA samples, this would be extremely time consuming and expensive. Instead they basically check values at specific places and create a profile. this method is not full proof, and there have been cases where different people have had matching profiles. Its believed that this is fairly rare, but its something that is actually being questioned by some scientists and lawyers:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20527424.700-unreliable-evidence-time-to-open-up-dna-databases.html?full=true

If you're concerned about being able to prove identity in the future, I would consider tagging. It's a simple injection procedure that your vet can complete. The tag is unique and can be read at any time in the future.

As has been said in Particle's response, the DNA lab limits their tests to specific sex data and specific disease data. There would not be enough info for identity purposes, even if they retained the original sample.

At this point I believe you would have to rely on the fact that he would immediately know you and come to you, and identifying marks, scars, pictures and words/tricks and things you taught your grey that would identify him. Do you have an avian vet for Sindbad? When I purchased my grey, I was given a bill of sale, I assume you were also. Of course, none of this is important until you find Sindbad. Still praying daily for his return!