NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Burning Candles Good Or Bad??

RockysMum

Hi everyone, Just read some interesting stories on another Grey forum this morning regarding burning candles at home with Greys.

My little guy Rocky has unfortunatly become a plucker:( And on this topic it suggests that burning candles can cause a bird to pluck??? As i have ruled out lots of possibilities for Rockys plucking, i was wondering if this may be the cause? (yip i do burn Yankee Candles at home)

Would really love to hear your opinions on this topic.

Thanks Arlene & Rocky xx

Hi Arlene,

I am not sure about it causing them to pluck but it is my understanding that burning regular candles can kill a grey. Someone correct me if I am wrong because I have been terrified to burn a candle since I got mine lol

Did he just start to pluck? Are there any other changes that have happened that may have upset him?

They can kill!!?

I only use them occasionaly. No it is not a recent thing, he has been doing it for about 9 or 10 months now:(. I am at my wits end with him, it makes me feel really sad yet he loves doing it! He is on a complete pellet diet with loads of veggies, cut back on his fruit, he has loads of stuff to do and i am home most of the day, he has regular baths and sprays of Aloe Vera. But when i read this artical this morning it made me think, as it was about this time last year that i started to buy yankee candles.

Hi Arlene ~ It isn't recommended that candles are burned due to the noxious smoke given off by them. This won't "kill" your bird instantly - but who knows what effects on their tiny respiratory system in the long term?

I like "smells" in my home too (pleasant ones!) and years ago asked my AV what I could use that wouldn't be detrimental to my cockatiel - I was told to use reed diffusers, which I use now with my grey.

I can't comment on the plucking though - I have never experienced this - but many, many, members have and will sure be along to comment.

My advice would be to stop using the candles altogether ;)

Search at the top of the forum for candles and see what other posts say. I am sure I have read that but I don't want to be telling you something wrong. It really could be that it is bothering him even if they are not strong enough to kill. It could be that they are bothering him enough to make him chew and he doesn't know how to tell you. If I find some more info I will post you the link.

I know I read a post somewhere on here once about safe candles to use. I am going to search it too because I really want to be able to burn some type of candles again but if I can't I can't. I definitely won't chance it.

Thanks Summerc25 for the link:)

I defo wont be burning anymore now, I was only using them as i know i cant use air freshners and aerosols, with Rocky 3 kids and 2 dogs we really need some nice smells in this house lol.

Thanks for the information about the Reed Diffuser Jill i will go online now and see if i can buy some.

Thanks Judy but i can honestly say that there will never be another candle in this house! Not even on a birthday cake:blink: Strange though how you think that as you cant use aerosols and sprays that a little burning scent cant harm your bird:(<br><br>Post edited by: RockysMum, at: 2010/01/10 16:28