NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Peanuts? Peanut Butter?

Lambert58

Yes, you need to be careful in which peanuts you use.

This is a very touchy topic with some people and they will not feed a peanut regardless of safety.

I feed my parrots peanuts that are human grade and roasted. The key words are "Human Grade". Believe it or not, humans can become sick also from peanuts if they are not roasted properly.

Peanut is nutritional and human grade as well. However, both should only be given as a treat or a minimal potion of their diet. Other nuts such as almonds and walnuts are much more nutritious and safe for them.

The #1 pellet maker Harrison's has peanuts and sunflower seeds in their coarse variety and is what many people feed their Greys.

Nuts are a staple of Parrots and the protein and oils are healthy for your bird. Especially during molting season and cold weather.

This is just my thoughts on the topic and others will give their thoughts as well pro and con. :-)

I feed my birds shelled unsalted peanuts that are roasted and come in a can, I do not feed any unshelled peanuts because of the danger of a toxin that may or may not be present, I won't take the risk.

Now Josey doesn't much care for peanut butter but Sunny, my conure will take it in a heartbeat.

B) HA HA, peanuts, I steal them when ever I can :whistle: , the boss don't keep any with shells around,[darn] but each morning they give me organic PB they get at almost any store with palm oil, [Logical] lets see S K I P P Y natural, yea....umm good in smash....:side:

Spock

Live Long and Prosper

The only peanuts Harvey receives are the ones that come in his parrot seed/nut mix (which remarkably has human grade stamped on it!!). I don't give the peanuts in the shells (monkey nuts) after the warnings I received here about the potential of aspergillosis in their shells.

I have never tried peanut butter though - sound like something else Harvey could paste up my walls and french doors!!

:)Salt, something we watch very closely giving to our fids, it's in everything. Peanut butter has 150g's of salt in 3tbs, [6tsp][for a adult] if we give our birds 1/10* of this, 1tps equal 15g's of salt, we give our guys about 1/2tps a day. We all give our birds a bite of wheat bread, [example] 1 slice has 110g's salt, so if we give a 1/4 slice to our birds, it is equal to about 27g's...PB is so good for them...:) Jay

*1/6-1/10 is a formula to calulate human to bird dosage..

I do use human grade roasted peanuts as a treat for Dorian. He loves working them out of their shells, but I always crack them open so that I can make sure the inside of the shells don't show any sign of contamination. A couple of years ago I read an article that showed the inside of a peanut shell that was dangerous to birds. It had black spots on the inside of the shell. Am I being cautious enough, or should I bake them myself, or limit him to peanuts without shells?

kittykittykitty wrote:

I buy unsalted organic p-butter (Trader Joe's)for myself but have not given any to Precious. Her treats are walnuts, cashews, almonds, pistachios in very limited amounts. Sometime ago I read the only peanuts free of aspergillus were grown in dry Arizona.

As the article says, it's unlikely that the airborne alfatoxin will manifest in peanut butter. You're probably fine giving it as a treat.