NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How Many Greys?

Ian

Hi Everybody,

How many of you guys posess more than one grey and do they co habit the same cage?. Also did acquiring another grey have any impact on either of them with regard to talking (i`ve heard that it can reduce vocalisation in the formerly `single` bird).Also do they have seperate flying times?

Thanks

Ian

:dry:

I only have one grey, a CAG, and her name is Josey. I also have a sun conure named Sunny, unsexed but I refer to her as a she. I only have 2 shoulders so 2 birds is my limit. Besides they say if you get 2 greys they will bond with each other and not to the human.

Hi Judy,

I have heard about the `bonding` thing too, but there seems to be an equal number of people that do manage to keep two and for whom they still remain bonded.

My daughter adores sun conures but I have been told they are real screamers?

:unsure:

Very seldom if ever well a bird be as bonded to you if it has one of its own kind in the cage with it. This is true of any type of bird.

This even happens to people when they marry. Their cycle of friends become smaller and they spend less time with them.

I would not encourage anyone to house two together if they want their bird to remain a bonded pet.

Guest Monique

Having more than one grey as a pet is fine as long as there is a separate cage. If you have a shared cage then you will have issues as described above.

I just recently acquired a second CAG through a rescue, and she is currently under quarantine, but I have noticed an increase in vocalization of both of them. They have both picked up a couple of eachother's phrases. They are both seperately caged, and will be that way. I don't want to house anyone together, especially since I can't be home all day to "supervise".

Oh and Sun Conures ARE screamers, or at least mine is sometimes. She was an only bird at her prior home so she got to go everywhere with her owner. Now that I'm dividing my time up she has had to adjust to that and isn't always the happiest bird.

I disagree with the above post.I have 5 Greys 2 Timnehs and 3 Congos and a bunch of other birds.

They are mostly rehomes,rescued and at one time were kept as single bird.Once they came to live with me and started to interact they started sharing cages.They are still pet quality and I can still handle them and interact with them.I am a stay at home animal mom and haven't had any problems with them.The one Congo that stays in my bedroom with some of my Eclectus once brought downstairs has made friends with the two Congos that share a cage and are my newest additions.I haven't had a problem with my Greys at all.They have come to live with me from 1 month to 2 years.<br><br>Post edited by: sashagirl, at: 2007/08/02 20:53

Sashagirl, for the most part, greys won't bond to humans as well if there are more than one but it is not the rule. You have certainly proved that some of them can be caged together and get along fine while still being friendly pets with you. I am glad you have such a situation that they all get along. I see you are a stay at home person and a lot of us have jobs outside the home so we are not there during the day to keep an eye on them if they were in the same cage. Plus you have more time to spend with your birds individually that we don't. I personally prefer the lone grey to be bonded to me and to each his own, but it works for you and that is well and good

I have 3 greys--2 CAGS and 1 TAG. 2 out the 3 are rehomed and all 3 are adults. I got the rehomed birds about 3 to 4 years apart. They're 6, 9 and 13 yrs old. Each has it's own personality and each has their own cage next to each other. They can easily get to each other's cages which they do frequently. Each has their own special affection for my wife and I. What thing that's happened is that as each new bird took up residence the others actually helped the newest one in fitting in to the new environment. One of my greys (CAG) on stand has been with us since he was in the egg because I own his parents. His affection hasn't waivered at all. All have bonded strongly to the wife and I. I don't believe that there can be a *certain degree or amount* of bonding. Some parrots who are the only bird in the house won't bond as well with the owner as another bird in another house will bond with the owner. That has to do with the parrot's nature. So, in a sense I do agree with Sashagirl. The biggest problem is not so much bonding with the owner as it is getting the birds to tolerate each other.

DSCN0181.jpg

DSCN0177.jpg

Well hello, MrSpock, you have 3 nice looking greys there and it is wonderful how the three of them get along and are bonded to you and your wife. You are lucky in that because a lot of us don't have that kind of environment.

You and your wife are very special people who love their birds and understand how individuals they are but get along well together. Maybe you should share some of your secrets with us, I'm sure you could tell us lots we don't know.

Thanks for sharing the pics with us and it looks like the pictures on the wall depict birds as well.:)

Judy, good god, what have I done!! I just turned around and told my greys that a woman named Judy just complimented them. All 3 got very annoyed because I disturbed their afternoon siesta. Each demanded an almond. After eating them they turned to me and warned about what would happen if I did that again. BUT, they did want me to say thank you very much. Thank heavens they're napping again.

I 'm not saying that I know everything about greys but after 20 yrs of dealing greys in all phases, having pet greys, having breeding greys that aren't pets, having sold chicks and having rehomed greys, I can see how people might be disturbed at what might happen when a 2nd or 3rd bird is taken in. Most rehomed birds are adults. They've lived in from 1 to 3 places. At each place they develop a permanent history or baggage of that particular place which remains permanent. When they finally arrive that the permanent home (hopefully), they bring that baggage with them and they're not as warm and affectionate as the #1 bird. They don't come around as much as people would like. That doesn't mean that some sort of a bond or friendship can't be created with the new owner/birds. 2 of my 3 three pet greys were serious problem birds when they arrived. They're fine now but it took a long time.

I have a method which has worked well for me.

The #1 bird who has always been there should be fed first, given treats first, put onto a playstand first, petted first, have the cage cleaned first etc. This will make that #1 bird feel that it's status in the aviary and with the owner hasn't changed at all. There's many solutions and the trick is to find one that works well in that house.

Concerning what's on the all I'm a wood carver and I've done many carvings of different parrots and other wild birds and keep them in my aviary room.

DSCN0183.jpg

DSCN0182.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: MrSpock, at: 2007/08/03 23:46

Thank you for the nice things you said. I'm always glad to share info if it makes the parrot and the owner feel contented. I make the carvings periodically when I come across an interesting or unusual bird . I did one of my German Shorthaired Pointer in the second pic and a wolf head in the first pic. Both are behind the tops of the cages. hard to see.

Gosh, MrSpock, I didn't mean to annoy your greys, and in the middle of a nap too, shame on me.

You are a wealth of information having had greys for many years in all forms of ownership, the stories you could tell, you will have to share some of them with us.

I love the wood carvings and the way you have them displayed in their room, how original and colorful they look there on the wall. Thanks for sharing these with us.:) :) :)

sashagirl wrote:

I disagree with the above post.I have 5 Greys 2 Timnehs and 3 Congos and a bunch of other birds.

They are mostly rehomes,rescued and at one time were kept as single bird.Once they came to live with me and started to interact they started sharing cages.They are still pet quality and I can still handle them and interact with them.I am a stay at home animal mom and haven't had any problems with them.The one Congo that stays in my bedroom with some of my Eclectus once brought downstairs has made friends with the two Congos that share a cage and are my newest additions.I haven't had a problem with my Greys at all.They have come to live with me from 1 month to 2 years.<br><br>Post edited by: sashagirl, at: 2007/08/02 20:53

Sashagirl,

I and my wife have been considering purchasing two Cags. Dayo is one for certain we have already purchased and brought home for 4 to 8 hour visits the last 3 weekends and are hoping to bring him home for good today if the breeder gives the green light.

But, there has also been and CAG from a different clutch born 1 week later and they have been caged together.

This Female (Dna'd) has also always wanted to be with me and my wife and every time we go to get Dayo, she wants out of the cage too and just loves to set on one of our arms or laps and be close to us.

It's almost as if they both chose us as their parents.

I posited the question earlier on this forum about getting both and housing them in the same HUGE cage.

Of course everyone has different opinions on whether they would talk as well, interact with us as well and want to be with us as much if we had them both, versus an isolated Dayo by himself.

With the large number of Grey's you have, I seem to be getting a different opinion from your experience with them and am interested in hearing your take on this.

We may bring the Female home with us today too, to see how she and he act at our house together.<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2007/08/04 17:47

LOL - Talon...just watching today and if all goes well, well... we love her...what can I do, send her back to the Breeders?

It has always bothered us that BOTH of them chose us and we picked Dayo because he is fearless and an explorer. :-) And I have said, everytime we go visit Dayo, she has always wanted to be with us too...probably hoping...

And you being the sucker you are had to take both of them, Dan, Dan, Dan, men never learn do they! I'm just kidding, wow you are going to take both of them, I am so glad you have it in your heart to take them both, what a lucky female. Of course she knew what she was doing, she saw the opportunity and worked it well and you fell for it, hook, line and sinker.:lol:

Congrats Dan, on bringing home Dayo and the female, oh I get it, now you don't have to share Dayo with your wife, you each have one to hold at the same time.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Guest briansmum

danmcq wrote:

And I have said, everytime we go visit Dayo, she has always wanted to be with us too...probably hoping...

aaaaaw i can see how that would pull at your heart strings.

i saw an advert recently from the breeder i got brian from saying they had reduced the price of a couple of babies they had left because sales had fallen through and these little guys really needed homes now, i was SO SO tempted.