NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Help!! Bring a Grey to US from foreign country

yoyo1106

My father passed away suddenly earlier this week due to a heart attack. He lived in Taiwan and I am also currently here to take care of all the necessary business. My dad has a 2 years-old Grey that's been with him since it was a baby. It is obviously distressed now not understanding why my dad is not home. I really really want to bring this Grey back to my US home because I love Greys and it is also in a way to continue a connection to my deceased father; maybe even hear a word or two that my dad has taught the bird.

I have been researching on what's the legal requirement to import an exotic bird to US. So far, it seems the followings are needed:

1) A WBCA permit

2) A health certificate

3) An application to reserve quarantine spot at the arrival port

However, there seems to be some rule from U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service that the requestor must submit proof that s/he has been out of US for at least one year, which I am not. Also, I don't have any other documentation on how my father procured the bird, so not sure if that will be an issue too.

Does anyone have any experience on importing a Grey to US and can offer some advice and insight on how the procedure works? Really appreciate any help on this!

I am so sorry to hear about your father.Contact the fish and wildlife service, they will I hope be able to sort things out.I am not sure about the quarantine requirement but this may be needed.Best wishes Sheila