NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Rant

Summerc25

It made me so sad earlier. I was looking at craigslist and kijiji actually to see if any new greys were listed for sale in an area where another members bird is lost. There were so so many greys for sale :( Most of them said had the bird 1 yr love him but no time. I really wish people would really think long and hard about it before they get one. Anyone who asks me about my bird, I say he is absolutely adorable,loveable and soooooo messy lol I always make sure I tell them about how many times a week I have to scrub his cage up and how he poops all over me lol People tend to get carried away on the cute and funny factor and never consider the time and energy it takes to take care of a pet. Now to me, he is worth every second of the cleaning up messes etc. but some people would not love any pet enough for the clean up. To me he is like my kid. It's just so sad for them because they get very attached to their humans. I really don't know what shaka zulu would do if I ever gave him away and I don't ever plan on finding out. I even tell any guys I date up front that they better make nice with the parrot if it gets that serious because he will never be leaving. They will be leaving before he does hehe Okay sorry off my rant now, it just upsets me to see so many people buy them and then don't want them within a few years.

I also look at the sites in the UK.

There are so many greys on preloved and other sites for sale, it really gets me mad as well!

I feel sorry for the poor birds who have no idea what fate lays ahead of them.

Think before you buy!:angry:

When people talk to me about my grey I always tell them just how messy and how much hard work is involved. I know for a fact I have put people off getting a parrot and I am ok with that. I also tell them how expensive they can be and about vet bills. I would rather do this than be responsable for someone getting a parrot and then finding out the truth.It is only the bird who suffers in the long run.

Don't be sorry for having a little rant Summer - most all of us here feel the same way!

I often have alook on preloved and similar sites over here and it's just so sad.

I have to say as well, when I was looking into getting a grey, not one person I spoke to, breeder or otherwise, mentioned any of the mess, noise, bites, attitude or a million other little things I've discovered since getting Alfie. I think all these things should be disclosed up front so any potential bird owner knows 100% what they are getting into!

Would it have put me off if I'd known? Absolutely not - well probably not, but it still would have been nice to have had both the positives and negatives beforehand.

{Feel-good-0002006E} Exactly what do people think they do with food since they have no hands or fingers and what did they think they would do with the poop???? Even human babies scream louder and louder when they are unhappy or until they are fed, or changed or whatever. Duh!!! :huh: :S<br><br>Post edited by: luvparrots, at: 2010/01/08 23:21