NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hanging rope stand

OK I know I dont know the formal name for it if it has one, but approximately how long should the rope be to make a decent size hanging spiral rope stand for my Abby I know how to make it just dont know what a good "TOTAL" length for the rope is to make a nice size hanging spiral rope. Any suggestions or measurements would be welcome .... remember im looking for the ropes total length thanks everyone.!

I tried using some wire I found at Home Depot. Its used for drop panel ceilings works really well BE FOR Abby gets on it lol would probably work great for a mid size to small bird but just not enough bounce for Greys' ... maybe some one on here knows where to go to find some 1/8" wire ... that's what I was told to use on one site I found .... Stainless Preferred but I can keep an eye on it to make sure no rusting or corrosion of any kind occurs.

Stainless steel is the recommended material. Greys will chew through the rope and they will be left with some of the wire exposed at some point. The zinc on standard wire will leave stains on your rope and birds, as well as being bad for our birds if ingested.

I have a local source for the wire but you can also get it here: http://www.greyfeathertoys.com/cgi-bin/quikstore.cgi?store=&search=yes&detail=yes&product=226&category=Stainless_Steel&keywords=&hits_seen=12&page=search.html∧=&. I use 1/8" wire.

Also, be absolutely sure to use 100% cotton rope. There are two types of cotton rope used in toys - one is a standard long-thread rope (what I use), and the other is a short-thread rope. The short-thread is supposed to reduce the threat of entanglement but simply doesn't hold up for perching materials.

Finally, be careful with the type of glue you use to secure the ends in PVC caps. I used both a PVC glue (melts some of the cap into the rope end) and a filling glue such as Gorilla glue. I prefer the Gorilla glue as it foams into the rope end and secures well onto the PVC.

Hope this helps!<br><br>Post edited by: Spinner, at: 2010/01/07 15:36

• 4 months later...