NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

plucking.....help please

trail_rider

How do I deal with it? Francis has been with me since two days before christmas. He has settled in wonderfully. I haven't seen him plucking or even finding plucked feathers. I thought he was doing really well. He had about four flight feathers on each wing and four red tail feathers. well.....he is down four feathers on one wing and two tail feathers. just tonight he has pulled out a few down feathers....right in front of me! :( I try to ignore his plucking, but it makes me feel like I am doing something wrong. :( He has a HUGE cage with lots of different toys, he comes out of the cage everynight. He has two playstands to explore while he is out and he is usually back and forth between the couch with me and his playstands as he pleases. I play on the floor with him with toys and he seems to be having fun. I need help guys......words of encouragement at the least! :( :( :(

;) Greetings: How old is Francis? Have you taken him to a vet to see if there is a medical basis for the plucking? Is your home high temp/low humidity? Are you bathing him regularly? There is so many possibilities...

To start, post a response to these questions. We have 2 pluckers ourselves and I know it can be discouraging and frustrating. Jay & Maggie<br><br>Post edited by: Jayd, at: 2010/01/06 04:27

Francis is 6 years old. I got him from a very nice lady that saved him from a bad situation. His previous family went away on vacation for two weeks, leaving Francis behind. They had a person coming in to feed and water him but that was it. He wasnt getting the attention he was used to. When his family returned they took him to the avian vet and he told them that he is perfectly healthy and it purely behavioral. They put him in a back bed room because he wasn't pretty anymore.....they didn't want to deal with it. :( the lady I got him from went to see him and he was in the bedroom in his cage with no toys. She brought him home and found him to be an absolute love. He let his feathers grow back in until she got busy with horse shows and stuff. So now he is living with me and I am trying to make him as happy as can be so he doesnt have a reason to pluck anymore. It is making me feel like a failure to see him doing this....he was doing so well there for a while. :(

I do bath him regularly and the environment in my house is fine. The other birds are comfy as can be with thier baths and such.

;) To start with, stick with the natural pellets, read the posts in "Bird Foods". Get some "Aloe Vera Juice" and soak him 2 times a week, Bathe him once a week[soak,no drafts]. Feed fresh veggies! especially those that contribute to a anti inflammatory diet: kale, beet greens, dandelion greens, carrots, collard greens, sweet potatoes, sugar snap peas, cooked chicken,green beans, cooked egg's with shells,almonds,cantaloupe, chick peas, lentils[cook the beans]. His diet should consist of about 35% of veggies. PM Dave007, ask for his advice!!It's a long hard road, love love love... ;) Karma<br><br>Post edited by: Jayd, at: 2010/01/06 05:04

I have read about the aloe vera juice.....do I dilute it with water or just pure aloe?

As for the fresh.....I haven't found anything that he doesn't like!! the pellets....well that has been a different story. He was being fed the fruit blend supreem. I have been trying to switch him to the natural pellets, but he has been being pretty bull headed with that.

You got him 2 days before Xmas? Well, I guarantee you that your bird hasn't settled in at all. The different types of things that birds start to do regularly usually don't immediately start until he/she realizes that whatever change happened was permanent. Then birds will react in different ways or not react at all.

To me, this is an obvious case of heavy duty stress from what's happened

1---a very nice lady saved him from a bad situation.

That means that the bird wasn't happy before that lady got him.

2---His previous family went away on vacation for two weeks, leaving Francis behind. They had a person coming in to feed and water him but that was it. He wasnt getting the attention he was used to.

That will cause loneliness but even worse, it allows a bird to start plucking/chewing behaviors and there's no one around to do things with the bird.

3---They put him in a back bed room because he wasn't pretty anymore.

Again he was neglected and left alone and probably not thought of as a valuable pet --- all having to do with prettiness. Very, very sad. Being neglected and left alone again lets the bird pluck/chew.

By the way, I could lose my temper and tell you what I think about the person who put him away because he wasn't pretty but as you can see, I'm keeping my composure.

4---the lady I got him from went to see him and he was in the bedroom in his cage with no toys.

No toys means complete boredom. To a grey, boredom means one thing--time to pluck/chew.

5---She brought him home and found him to be an absolute love. He let his feathers grow back in until she got busy with horse shows and stuff.

She started off with one level of attention and it waned when the horse season started. The bird is again going through changes and feels less secure which leads to possible plucking.

So now he's with you and you feel that you're a failure because you can't immediately correct long standing problems. Well, you're kicking yourself in the ass for nothing.

Acute plucking/chewing takes quite a bit of time to lessen. You're doing all that you can and he's got to feel secure, safe and totally comfortable with you, your home, the new environment, your household habits, the noises in the house, the barking of the neighborhood dog etc etc. That takes time. If you haven't done it yet, make sure that the bird is around the hustle and bustle of the house.

If he's plucked in the past and has stopped, he'll stop again but only when he wants to and you'll just have to put up with him not looking good. Don't worry about the feathers.

He'll definitely need bathing/misting on a regular basis. More than likely, his skin is now dry and flaky and has much dander on it.

Start the bathing and get him wet down to the skin. Let him drip dry. Do it at least 3x a week.

There's a few items you can use in the future but for now get that bathing habit started and most importantly ----PATIENCE__PATIENCE__PATIENCE<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2010/01/06 05:58

thank you for sharing your knowledge with me!! :) I am not worried about what he looks like...I just want him to be happy. And when I seen those feathers in the bottom of his cage I felt like I wasnt making him happy. He doesn't mind the misting....he rather enjoys it. But you are correct to say that he is very dry and has lots of dander floating about.

At this point you don't have to start changing foods. For now just give him what he's been eating. He survived on that food in the past and he'll survive on that food now.

For now, just concentrate on the necesary things that need to be done in order to acclimate your bird into your family life.

One other reason why it'll take a while until you see a full, even set of tail and wing feathers is because they don't grow in at the same time and many times, a new one growing in will irritate an area that only has a 1/2 feather there so the bird will chew down or pull out the new feather. So the process takes a long time especially when tail and flight feathers are involved.

Hi trail_rider, I would listen to Dave on the food. Keep his diet as consistent as possible from what it was with his previous owner. Now isn't the time to worry about his diet, let him get used to things at your home first, and then consider cleaning up his diet. Even things that seem like no big deal to us can be a huge deal for a Grey, including having to pick through their regular food to get what they want as opposed to dipping in their beak with abandon, knowing they are getting what they expect.

Jay has also given you great advice with the aloe vera.

Just know, parrots have their own time, and it can be sooooo frustrating because that time seems to take eons in our time. Patience and consistency is key. I'm dealing with a feather chewer, it's a day by day process. Lots of soakings and aloe, and even more love and attention.

I didn't mean to insinuate that I was goign to go against Dave's advice. I have every intention of following it. I am still learning the ways of my grey and what is good for him. I want to do what is right.

I am going to pick up the aloe juice when I am in town tomorrow.

:) It's nice to see all the good advice.;) You can always count on Dave...You have to be calm, your grey can since you stress, your doing what you should and it all takes time...Here's a photo of our Freddy, almost same story as yours, 17 years old.;) [not a grey, just example...]Karma to you

005-1.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: Jayd, at: 2010/01/06 15:11

Please, please follow Dave's advice! I have a grey who plucked and completely destroyed his right wing and with the advice I received from Dave and the vet visit, he's gone from completely bare breasted to full of fluffy down feathers and regular feathers on his front and new flights coming in on his wing. The best advice I've seen here - keep calm and don't stress, maintain as much normalcy as possible and be consistent with the bird. He will feel your stress even if you think you're covering it - you are actually transferring it. I know, I was doing the same thing. Worry about his diet later, may be adding more stress with the changes. Loads of toys to keep him from being bored, replace them when they show wear or if the bird decides he's chewed on that one enough. Keep positive thoughts. Remember one thing always - LIVE IN THE MOMENT, don't dwell on the past, you can't change that, worrying about tomorrow only interrupts today.

I've never dealt with a plucking bird before, but good luck :) It'll be a long process until your bird is completly comfortable with you and your ways, but be persistent and don't give up hope, as he will love you forever for the much better life you have given him :)

He just needs to understand that this is his forever home now and that he isn't going to be given to another home or shoved in another cage with no toys and abandoned!

jayd- thank you for sharing your picture of Freddy.....he is a sweetheart for sure!!

I am going to town today and I am going to get aloe juice for Francis.

Thanks again to all of the advice.

Bear with with me tho.....i am sure you havent heard the last of me and Francis!! :)

before I got Francis lots of people asked me why I would want a bird that plucks. But when I heard Francis' story, my heart melted. I couldn't NOT bring him home with me. I dont regret it and home he doesnt either. :) I know it is going to be a long road, but I am sure that it will be more than worth it when he completely settles in. And I am so thankful that I found this forum with all of you WONDERFUL people to help us along our journey. :)

trail_rider wrote:

before I got Francis lots of people asked me why I would want a bird that plucks. But when I heard Francis' story, my heart melted.

Always follow your heart. The question to those people would be, why not? :-)

You have been given excellent advice by two of our most respected Forum Members here. It's good to see you are apply it.

Looking forward to hearing how it's going and seeing photos when you get a chance.

Awww I am so glad to see that Francis has a good home with you now. The most important thing for him I think is to have someone who never gives up on him and I think he found that someone. It seems like the other families he had kind of gave up on him because of the plucking. I think it is awesome that you adopted a plucker. I would never turn a bird away for that.

trail_rider, we all look forward to hearing from you! Whatever anyone posts may result in new lessons for all of us from another member with the right knowledge or experience! It's all learning for many of us, so enjoy the support of all these kind people, I've realized quickly, parrot people are the best people!

As I said, I've been trying to get my baby Grey to stop chewing his feathers for the past 4 months. A lifetime to me, but I keep trying to be patient, and hoping the advice I have received will do the trick... I'm noticing a difference, I'm just not always sure, it's day by day.

Love your bird, feathered or not, they still are so lovable! I just want cuddle up with Jay's cockatoo!