NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What kind of 2nd bird should I get?

Jayd

{Feel-good-000200BB} Ok, everybody out there, what kind of bird do you have? and why should I get it? I have a grey...The question has been asked? I'll post my suggestions later today... Jay ;)[not for me!!!This is a general question.]

Post edited by: Jayd, at: 2010/01/05 20:48<br><br>Post edited by: Jayd, at: 2010/01/05 21:55

Jayd, Pat has at least two large macaws that I can think of offhand, I believe she also has a severe macaw (smaller) two greys (possibly more lol) and I think she may also have an amazon. Why don't you pm her (it may take her a few days to reply) and she will be able to tell you all you need to know.

Jay - I'm afraid I'm with Maggie - a stuffed one (of the fluffy variety - not literally a taxidermy project)! Can I just be a cheerleader and clap loudly from the sidelines - I couldn't cope with another!!! :laugh:

Actually Maggie - watch him! He's pretending this is for somebody else!!! How many more can you cope with is my question to you Jay! :lol:

I can see it ending now......and a partridge in a pear tree! :blink:<br><br>Post edited by: JillyBeanz, at: 2010/01/05 21:49

One important thing here concerning who gets along with who----No matter what you get, it may or may not get along with another bird or birds of the same or different species that a person may own. I've seen macaws get along with budgies but dislike greys and feel neutral about red lories and have seen eckletus get along with greys and dislike amazons who in turn love IRNs who may not like cockatoos but will love quakers and those quakers may love CAGs but dislike TAGs or visa versa who in turn may feel very neutral about conures who may in turn love cockatiels but dislike parrotlets. But none of this is set in stone. More importantly, personalities of specific species should be high on the list before choosing.

Even with macaws, B & Gs have the nicest personalities. Those magnificent beautiful Scarlett macaws are the most aggressive and moody and are quick to bite. Amazons --yellow naped have the nicest all around personalities---DYLs in general have a more aggressive personality if not dealt with properly. But again this doesn't apply to every single bird. The same holds true as far as weight--DYLs are more prone to obesity then the smaller Zons so they need much more exercise out of the cage than other types and this weight problem doesn't have to only pertain to fatty acids. Constantly in a cage can affect their personality and can possibly cause some aggression. TOOs that are kept in cages for long periods of time will seriously mutilate themselves, much more so than greys who are also pluckers and quakers who are constantly kept in cages with no outside excersize are much mre likely to have heart attacks long before their time is up.

20.jpg

6.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2010/01/05 23:09

Dave007 wrote:

. I've seen macaws get along with budgies but dislike greys and feel neutral about red lories and have seen eckletus get along with greys and dislike amazons who in turn love IRNs who may not like cockatoos but will love quakers and those quakers may love CAGs but dislike TAGs or visa versa who in turn may feel very neutral about conures who may in turn love cockatiels but dislike parrotlets.

A serious topic I know but man!!! I had to laugh at this! It took more following than an episode of Corrie!!:laugh:

Nice pics of a sociable flock tho Dave!

Beautiful photo's Dave!!!

If you haven't figured it out by now...

I love Amazon's!! :woohoo: :woohoo:

But my vote is that each bird is unique in it's own personality. You really can't predict who will get along with who....alot depends on the owner and how they handle the birds.

I have a sun conure, that was my first parrot and it whet my appetite for a bigger bird and so I got my grey. I think it depends on what kind of bird you like for like Dave said you never know whether two birds of any species will get along, it all depends on their own individual personalities.

ty Jayd :) and ty Dave , love the pics :)ok you are all right you never know what species will get along with another species , who would think a Quaker and a Tag would be best friends , that really suprises me but Rudy and Opey the quaker are together all day and all evening , if Rudy flys to her cage for awhile to play with her toys and eat Opey will start calling her in human language and in bird language and she will always fly back back to his cage soon after he calls her, they are like 2 peas in a pod lol

not real sure what kind of bird I want to get I'am doing some research now but this will not be for awhile and I might decide to pass and be happy with the 3 I have which I'am already happy with my flock :)if I do decide to add I'am thinking about a IRN or a Alexandrean or maybe even a Blue Crown Conure , will let u all know when it happens :)

• 3 weeks later...

This is a great post, and by my reading it, I'm sure you can all imagine what is on my mind... I finish university in July (thank God! It's been a looooooong haul) and then will be back to just working full-time.

Besides the prospective "getting along" that we now know is next to impossible to foresee, are there birds that should not be kept with a grey for physical reasons? I.E. The dander from the grey is unhealthy??? Or any other physical concern.

After checking out The Amazon room, I think my mind might be made up. The only other thing that I want to consider, what about diets? I don't want to end up a short order birdie cook. I wouldn't mind breed specific pellets, but would they eat the same salads as a Grey?

Finally, the last hold out I'd have, Paco goes everywhere (within reason) with me, I guess a 2nd bird will take away from that. I wouldn't shove the two into one travel carrier, nor would I be able to carry two at once.... Hmm, lots to think about, pros and cons!

I'm glad you started the post Jayd!

Well Chatot and Tyco my Grey have become pretty good friends for the most part in the video of the birdy in the window. the cage Chatot climbed up on was Tyco's cage not his and there was no aggression from Tyco at all and he was also on top of his cage at the time. Chatot is a very easy going bird and is not at all aggressive with any of the other pets in the house he will back down and walk away if they confront him. He's the biggest of them all and has no need to back down from anybody but he does

I have my 17 month old grey and my 10+ rescued male ekkie. I'm not sure these two will ever get along. Ana Grey of course wants to play with Sully and is always trying to sneak into his cage for food. Sully just wants her to leave him alone. Sully is a loner even where I am concerned. So I have to watch Ana Grey like a hawk so Sully won't have her for lunch!!!<br><br>Post edited by: luvparrots, at: 2010/01/27 23:03

We have an Umbie Too, an Elanora Too 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets and Pookie the CAG. Pookie gets along best with the Elanora she allows him on her cage once in a while. She cannot interact with the Umbie he is just too facinated with her and I don't trust him, the budgies and Tiels just ignore the larger birds. I think Pookie would like to have all the humans to herself best of all.