NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

another day with our Grey

Drewbake

I guess Gracie must of needed a day or two to really adjust, because she is really at home now. We should rename her Ms. Piggy because she has been feeding so well and we are so relieved.

We are so excited about what a great member of the family she is going to be and all the wonderful things we are going to teach her.

It's so great to be a member of this online group, we look forward to getting to know all of you and hearing about your life with your Greys. We will post pictures as soon as we can figure out how. :-)

Drew

FYI - two questions

1. How and when is a good time to use a cover to her cage? Or should we not use one at all?

2. Has anyone purchased the bird training videos that show up everywhere you look online. You know the one where the guy does a 10 minutes sales pitch video.

It looks worth while, does anyone have advice in this area?

Greetings and welcome Drew and Gracie! You will find this wedsite very informative with many people willing to share their experiences.

Regarding question 1 about cage covering, that is a personal choice each owner must make. There is no right or wrong and there are pro's and con's to both choices. I for one do not cover, for several reasons. The issue of cage covering is discussed in the very useful book "For the Love of Greys" by Bobbi Brinker. I think this is a must have/read book for all grey owners. It covers many important topics about being a parrot owner. The main reasons I do not cover are:

1 - the birds cannot see beyond the cover and may be more prone to getting spooked

2 - if they are conditioned to be covered then they expect this always. If you go away on vacation etc then you will need someone to ensure the covering happens and this may or may not be rather challenging.

Regarding question 2, I have not purchased training videos, but I have read books on the issue. Information about clicker training is very good. Even if you do not choose to clicker train, some of the principles covered can be applied in any case. For me also, we have a red lored Amazon in the family now for 37 years so we are rather used to dealing with parrots, conditioning desired behavior and addressing unwanted behaviors in a positive manner etc.

One thing for sure, ask lots of questions and read read read. There is a lot of very good information available.

Have fun and keep us posted!~ :P<br><br>Post edited by: dblhelix, at: 2007/07/27 20:28

Hi Drew,

I purchased the Video about a year ago when I first got my Conure hoping it would help me tame him...NOT

Regarding training for tricks, it basically shows you 3 tricks they teach a Macaw and a Cockatoo..not real exciting stuff.

Also, they will automatically start sending you THEIR recommended pelletized food, which you never asked for, but they send it and will continue @$30 a bag once a month unless you email them and advise you don't want it.

My advise is to just save your money and use it on a good book :-)