NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How to stop biting, when i pet my CAG

karina

Gabby is 13 yrs old. I got her about 5 weeks ago. She does like to be petted, but when i am petting her sometimes she turns her head around and bites me! How do i react when she does that, and further more how do i stop it? Im sure this is something that will take time but how do i start the process? thanks!

Does Gabby ask to be petted or do you initiate the action?

With Misty my 7 yr old I only ever pet him when he specifically asks me to.

If I try otherwise he will turn away. He doesn't bite then but that is because I respect his space.

As it is I doubt that you have been together long enough for Gabby to tolerate to much familiarity.

Does she give clear indication that she wants you to pet her? Don't be mislead by her simply bowing her head to you.

Steve n Misty

Bowing the head and then turning around and nailing you is a familiar grey trick. Watch her for other body signals. If she's at all puffed up she might be suckering you in. Dorian and I have worked out a system but it took time for us to get to know each other. He'll only accept scratches when he's in his cage or on his playstand where he feels like he has a stable perch. Some birds don't like your hand in their cage at all because that's their safe spot. I know Dorian really wants a scratch when he puts his head down and holds onto his perch with his beak. Unless he's doing that, I don't try to touch his head.

It's really a matter of getting to know your bird. Is she biting hard and breaking the skin, or is it just a hard beaking, her saying 'I don't want you to do that right now' or 'I've had enough, go away now';) ? If you want her to accept scratches as a good way to interact, wait until she seems to want one, then do it for just a couple of seconds, remove your hand and give her lots and lots of praise. If she puts her head down and lets you touch her again, repeat and reward with praise and maybe a treat. This way you're stopping the scratches before she's had enough, and making it a totally positive interaction for her. You want to end on a happy positive note so that she associates you with good things. She actually sounds very resilient and sweet natured. An older bird like her will almost never become a real cuddle bunnie but considering her life before she came to you, getting her to trust you enough to be scratched will be a huge accomplishment for you both.

I think she asks for it, i pet her when she puts her head down and kinda of stretches it out at me. I deffinatley agree that she doesn't know me well enough yet, i'm just curious if i should be doing something this early or not? I don't want her to think that its okay, yet from what i've read its normal.

Acappella, thank you that was so helpful! I think thats what im doing wrong i pet her until she decides to stop it (by biting) haha. I will for sure try just petting her for a couple seconds and then praising her, thanks!!

I am lucky with Misty. He would sit on the back of my armchair and say "yourallright" . It took me a little while to get that was his way of saying "please scritch me". Once I had cottoned on to that I would say "tickle tickle" as I scritched him. Now he will use either term to let me know. It is also important to note the context in which he uses those words. For example if he is on his perch and says "Tickle tickle' I now know it is not an invitation to me. He has to be on the back of my chair, on my knee or on my shoulder. Most times if I try to initiate scritches he will turn away. It has to be on his terms or not at all.

Steve n Misty