NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Tabletop Perch

Spinner

I needed a small tabletop perch for my grey and built a simple wooden perch stand.

Perch.jpg

I used baltic birch plywood for the sides. Baltic birch plywood has thinner, more numerous laminate plies than standard plywood, and uses a glue that has been safe for my birds. It finished nicely with nicely contrasting plies. After cutting to shape, the edges were softened with fine grit sandpaper.

The perch rods are made from cherry, and use both 1 inch and 3/4" diameter dowel. The ends of each have been relieved with a slight chamfer.

The pieces were sanded with 230-grit sandpaper and steel wool. Tung oil finishes the parts prior to assembly.

Through-holes were drilled in the plywood and the parts assembled as shown. I used gorilla glue and finishing brads to hold everything together. Wipe off any excess glue with a damp cloth.

My birds enjoy this enough that they haven't chewed into it yet. I sized the stand to sit across my digital scale for easy weight measurements.

Enjoy!

Oh now that is very nice like the idea of something small like what you came up with. Very good. The plywood is that a big 4 x 8 sheet that you had to buy or can you get it in smaller pieces. I sure do not want to struggle with a big sheet of plywood. Let me know please on the wood. Thanks.

I got the plywood as a small 1'x2' partial sheet rather than an unwieldy 4'x8' sheet. It's available at woodworking supply stores such as Rockler or Woodcraft. I think it may also be available at Lowe's or Home Depot.

I should note that the triangular ends have different measurements on each of their sides. This way one perch is rather low, and with a simple rotation of the stand to another face, it has a taller perch available.

The baby greys think they're stylin' when on their perch stand :) Beaker just thinks it's comfy.