NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

HELP PLEASE!!

karina

I recently had a female CAG given to me (Gabby). She is 13 yrs old and was neglected for many years. She always had fresh food and water but 0 attention. Before i got her from the office i had noticed some feather loss on her chest and it has just gotten progressively worse. She has lost a lot of feathers from her abdomen and back. Her wings, tail, and head are perfect (so far)..but her whole little torso is all...fluffy looking with patches missing. I do give her baths regularly, much more frequently than she had gotten for the last 10 years. I havent had her for too long, but i love her very much and am very scrared. She has some behavioral problems (thats another story) but she is a little sweetheart and has been through a lot and i just want to make her better. Any advice is very much appriciated, thank you!!!!

Good for you that you took in an older neglected Grey. That needs a lot of courage and also great commitment. How long have you had her?

From your comments about her behavioural problems and the fact that you say she has been through a lot, you are going to have to be very patient and prepared to go through some difficult times.

But if you consider it positively, the experience can also be very rewarding and enjoyable as you step from small successes to bigger ones at the end of which you will have established a wonderful relationship with your grey.

I am almost certain she is plucking. The experts will certainly give you good, sensible advice.

Don't worry, with the suggestions that you will surely receive, you will be well along the way to establishing a healthy relationship with your Grey.

Remember that all it will take is time, patience and lots of love.<br><br>Post edited by: ramsabi, at: 2010/01/04 13:57

Good for you and even better for her. They are a reserved bird so do not rush the relationship. Wonderful to hear she is receiving more baths that will go a long way towards helping her feather condition. It would be good to know what her diet is presently, fresh veggies and some fruit can do her some good as well. Giving her lots to do like shredder toys and paper to tear will be good for her as well but go slow on introducing new things to her cage you don't ant to frighten her. What are your other behavioral concerns?

Honors to you for taking on this kind of challenge. She obviously is in a better place now with you. If you haven't already, take Gabby into a qualified avian vet to get blood tests and a general health assessment. Your vet can provide valuable recommendations, and possibly some needed vitamins and medications.

As Ramsabi mentioned, patience is important. Remember that your are working on building trust for a lifetime relationship - don't get discouraged if it takes a little longer than expected.

You mention that you are very scared. What about? Let us know specifics so we can try to help you out with any issues.

Ive had her for about 5 weeks, and i am scared because of her feather problem, i just feel like shes been through a lot and was sad for so long and i don't want anything to be wrong with her i just want her to be happy now. I love animals, and of course as most do i concider them family, however ive never had a bird. Ive dealt with a lot of animal issues but every species, and inividual animal for the matter is so different. So when i say behavioral problems, it may just be things that are normal or her personality. She was a very lonely bird. Shes had hardly any attention at all for the past 10 years, and had not even been out of her cage in at least 2. I cant even think about her sitting in her cage alone day after day especially bc she loves interaction. Its absolutely heartbreaking because she really is a sweet girl. One time i caught her holding one of her toys petting herself on the head with it, im assuming she had to do that a lot bc noone even touched her. When i go up to her she puts her little head down and lets me pet her for a while however she always turns her head around to bite me, sometimes not hard at all she more just rubs her beak on my fingers and squints, other times she bites pretty hard, i would really like to stop that. She loves coming out of her cage, she sits on top of it and if i go into the kitchen she flys in there after me. She is such a little doll. Shes cute and funny and so sweet you cannot help but to love her. I just want to grab her and hug and kiss her! I know i cant though haha. I need to have her wings clipped but i want to wait until she is more comfortable. I am ordering a table top parrot perch so i can put her on the table next to the couch bc she seems to like being a part of things, and other than her cage she doesnt have any thing else to perch on. This way she can sit right next to me and i can play and bond with her more. SO to sum it up i want to fix her feathers, stop her biting, and for her to be a happy loving bird. Aagain thank you everyone so much for helping me help Gabby.

Although you have every right to be frightened concerning the feathers, you may be frightened for the wrong reasons and not understand that there may be other situations that cause the plucking in loads of species that have a reputation for quick plucking. First is excitment and possible happiness. Some birds will pluck because a change in environment allows them to show nervousness and excitement which in turn may stimulate plucking. A new physical relationship with people may cause plucking because of the hustle and bustle that surrounds the bird. A different type of activity with new people may be great for the bird and it'll also cause picking/plucking.

Your bird is approx 10 yrs old? I doubt very much that your bird is a chronic plucker. It sounds like an acute type of plucking which will eventually stop. A chronic plucker rarely stops even though he/she is extremely happy about all the new things that're going on.

No one ever touched her and now all wanna touch her. That's a 180% turn around from the past.

Many of the things you say are going on in your new relationship sounds like the bird is heading into a new productive phase.

For a 10 yr old bird, 5 weeks won't really show great changes. It takes a lot longer than that. A LOT LONGER.

Continue to gradually build your relationship with the bird and you'll soon see how accepting she is of all that's new in her life.

Yes, conytinue to bathe her but address particular situations such as the bald spots. Go to a pharmacy. Buy a small bottle of 100% Pure Aloe Vera Gel. Put some dabs of it on those bald spots. Do it often.

Many people think that a plucking bird is either a sick bird or unhappy bird which many times just isn't true.

There's loads of people here that own pluckers. The birds are healthy, happy and socialble BUT they still pluck. It can happen to different species.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2010/01/04 18:30

Gaby sounds like a real sweetie. The bit about her petting her head with her toy is so sad though - hopefully she will come to realise soon that she now has a human to do that for her!

You say you need to have her wings clipped. Is there any particular reason for this? Only some of our members here have fully flighted birds and it's really amazing to hear of the joy for all concerned when these birds take flight!

A table top perch is a good idea - somewhere she can call hers when she's not in her cage.

Well done you for taking on this lovely grey. It may take a while, and it may not be easy, but you will be rewarded with a beautiful, funny, loving companion.

Gabby seems to really like flying. She flys around the house to get where she wants to go. i was under the impression it was much better to cut their flight feathers. Plus i don't want her to fly away! However i would like you keep her wings the way they are..i mean she is a bird, thats what they do.