NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cage room question?

numufu

I currently live in a house with 9 people; my family is very tight-knit. My sister and her husband both live in the addition added onto our house, my other sister and her fianceé who plan on moving out soon, as well as my father and mother. I'm currently 22 years old and awaiting my CAG which I will be receiving (crossed fingers if everything goes according to plan) in 4 weeks when he's weaned.

I have a couple questions about where I should put the cage, though. I know lots of books and other references say to put it in the most lively place of the house like the living room and whatnot. But I'm in a dilemma. My sister's 2 year old is quite the rambunctious little tyke. I don't think I'd be able to trust myself with him around the cage and baby bird. I'd be afraid that with the toddler screaming and kicking, throwing a temper tantrum not getting his way, he'd ultimately scare or freak the bird out or even have the bird mocking his screams. So I'm basically asking if it would be alright to have the cage upstairs in my room for maybe the first few years until my nephew ages and actually understands what phrases like "be careful" and "don't yell" mean. If anyone has encountered similar situations, please help!

Thanks in advance

Yes it's true that a new bird should be put in the middle of everything but in your situation there's many people living there including a very young child. Yes, the child will definitely freak out the bird and if possible under the right circumstances will bite that child. The bird will also get an attitude towards the person/people who have put him into that bad situation. A baby grey needs to be handled with kid gloves. The start of a relationship should be one of calmness. many types of socializing has to be started and most of that has to have people around or else the bird will ignore, misbehave or develop very bad attitudes with others. The place a bird starts out with as far as a home ( cage )should be in an area where the bird will remain but moving the cage around that area would work as long as the general environment remains the same. Putting the bird in a room by itself with little or no constant contact is a bad idea because it will cause problems for the bird later on. A grey who is alone can cause problems for itself, both physically and mentally. Also, a grey needs lots of time out of it's cage everyday. All medium to large sized parrots do.

Although I normally wouldn't say this, my opinion is to think about not getting that bird right now until the atmosphere is much better and roomier.

My fids live in a spare bedroom I have. I have boings, hanging perches and portable stands all over the rest of my home for them to light on when they are out. I have several young grandchildren and when they are over I chose when my birds will be out to visit with them and that is only when I am free and available to supervise. To me it is most important to keep your grey safe so if the best place for your grey is in your room so it should be. I am assuming that you spend a lot of time in your room. When you are in the rest of the rest of the home is when your grey should be out, with you close at hand to supervise.<br><br>Post edited by: luvparrots, at: 2010/01/02 01:41

Dave007: The room I had plans for would be my room, of course. Because I'm currently out of school (medicinal reasons) and I work from home, the bird would be receiving all the attention it needs. Another quick question, I've also read how the minimum amount of time outside the cage for your parrot must be 2 hours, but I've never read about maximum time. Because I know that parrots like to have some time to themselves to become independant. So I was curious if you had any advice so that I don't overwhelm mine with too much attention.

luvparrots: Yes, my room is my abode. :P It's a large room so when he grows up there will be lots of room for him to explore. I love the idea of having the portable stands all over the house, it is something I will need to invest in. This whole cage thing is something that will have to be trial and error when it comes down to it, I suppose, it appears every CAG is different. I'm hoping that with the free time I can devote to him he won't mind staying in my room and just 'visiting' the family room.

I close my grey's door from 7:00 pm to morning so that she can sleep. When I am home and not occupied, her cage door is always open so that she can come and go in as she pleases. If I am busy and can't keep an eye on her she is closed in her cage. I am retired so she has a lot of time out of her cage. She enjoys sitting on the door, or on her hanging perches or playstands.

I don't trust Harvey with children either. My two nieces (4 and 2) are regular visitors to my home and the oldest is scared of him anyway (no reason, just doesn't like the look of him), but the youngest is absolutely fixated and wouldn't think twice (because she's two!) of sticking her finger into him, with terrible consequences I would have thought. For this reason, when they visit, Harvey is put in his cage (for his own good, and that of my nieces).

Mind, I must say, if I had a dog that wouldn't be left with my nieces alone either - I wouldn't trust any animal, no matter what their nature, unattended with children ;)

Time out of cage - as much as possible with supervision. All of my fids enjoy as much out of cage time as possible every day, but I also let them enjoy time in their cage which I call "nap" time. It's usually in the afternoon when my time gets busy and I can't supervise them properly. It's been the routine and they seem to enjoy it, knowing that "nap" time ends just before dinner and they get to come out and play and cuddle before bedtime. Routine is the most important part of this.