NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Broken flight feather?

AbbysDaddy

Abby has a broken flight feather ... not quite sure how it happened cause she has gotten very well at flying around the apt. better at landing on things too, but any how she still has one. I am sure they break hear and there but my question is should I help her with getting it off ... can it fix its self and "re-straighten"? It is pretty high up close to her follicle. I have some pics taken ... she grabs it with her foot when shes on her play stand and then it looks like she is chewing on the top of it to break it off .... she still can fly but Im sure is bothersome. What ever should I do?

Hi there, rest assured, between Dan and Dave (something must have happened to Dave's post) you will be getting excellent advice. When either address my concerns, along with others, I sit up and listen!! As hard as it is, I'd listen to Dave and let the bird deal with it's feather.

Thanks Dan for that pic! A visual idea is nice!

Yoshi actually snapped her first tail feather two days ago and it has been hanging out of place... but she doesn't seem bothered at all with it so I guess it'll come out eventually... she does look a little more 'tatty' now though because of that obvious misfit feather :P

It's natural to worry, especially when you're a new parront:) Dorian bent a feather badly while playing, and later broke it about 3/4 up the shaft. The rest stayed in for about a week and then I found it at the bottom of the cage. Abby will take care of it while preening.

FYI, if she does ever break a blood feather you should have something at hand to stop the bleeding. Do a search here for a birdy first aid kit. It's always better to be prepared.