NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Climate Greys come from

danmcq

I thought some here may find the climate data for the Congo area a good reference on temperatures, rainfall and humidity.

The best overall time to visit is probably June-September. (Avoid the rainy season, October-May.) Since the country is located on the Equator, the climate is fairly consistent year round the average day temperature is a humid 75 F/24 C, with nights generally in the 60s F/16-21 C.

temperature.jpg

This is very interesting Dan - and is perhaps the direct opposite to how our domestic greys are kept in lots of parts of the world, definitely here in the UK.

I think it would be absolutely glorious to be able to see these animals in the wild - but sadly, due to the state of the area I don't think it is something that I will see.

Thanks for this Dan - it really gives food for thought.

It would be nice to visit there and observe. :-)

I think the most import information to gleen from this, is the climate.

Temperature - ranges from 90 daytime down to mid 60s in morning.

Humidity - Ranges from near 100 percent in morning down to 60 percent in afternoon.

Rain - Many months at 10 inches!!

They live in a very warm, wet and humid climate. :-)

Thus the need for a humidifier in the home or room they are in and constant showers and mistings. :-)<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2010/01/01 18:06

Dan, the information is especially helpful for those of us who keep their homes cooler in the winter months in an effort to conserve energy. I was concerned for my greys that 68 was too cool for them, but see it is normal for their native region. Living in Charleston, SC humidity is not a problem - and with Beau's plucking issues, we've gone to daily showers for all of the fids. Your information reinforces the actions we all take in caring for our greys. Thanks for the info.

:) You've brought up some good points....Most people look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them that. So many of the breeders here keep their average temps so high that the poor birds have trouble when doors open suddenly and they get chilled. A lot of people who come to see our birds are amazed at the humidity level we keep our house at year round. :ohmy: Love your post!!!