NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New CAG owner - need advice

dmkrieg

Hello everyone,

I bought my first African Grey Congo named Oliver. He is 3 years old and is sweet as can be, However; he likes to get walk around on the floor and pull at my carpet. Not sure what to do about that but I do know I want to give him the best life possible. I thought I did plenty of research before deciding to buy my Oliver but after I got him in I realized there is so much I don't know how to react to and so many questions I have so I was hoping you all could help me.

so here goes...

1. There are so many books out there, is there a book that is best suited for someone with a new african grey that will cover just about everything?

2. I have been feeding a mixture of pellets and seeds and he is sooooo picky that he picks out what he wants and leaves the rest. He is afraid of green vegetables. I know that sounds weird but everytime I try to give it to him, he freaks out and trys to get as far away from it as possible. I want to put him on Harrisons High Potentcy food but am afraid he just wouldn't eat it. What should I do??

3. How long does it take them to settle in. He is 3 years old and mostly mimics noise, he says a few things but most of what he says isn't very clear so I sit around and talk to him all day long and when I can't talk to him I put on those train your bird to talk CD's.

4. What do you do when they bite. He hasn't ever bitten me but has bit my 9 year old when she tried to get him to step up and bit my 14 year old neice for touching his toy. What do you do to prevent biting?

I appreciate any information you can provide or if you can direct me to a good book that will help me.

Your Grey has only been with you a little over 3 weeks. It is still settling in, getting used to new surroundings, people, routine, food etc.

The biting is not the problem. It is teaching the young ones to cautiously approach and how to watch your Greys body language. Most Greys do not like younger children. They are also protective of "Their Toys" and what they may consider to be "Their Space".

If you are the most favored presently, then you can interact with the Grey at an entirely different level than other "Lesser Ones" of the flock.

Birds bite because outside of body language, it is how the communicate that you just crossed a boundary and they don't like it. If no blood has been spilled, it was a firm grasp, not a true bite out of viciousness. Please explain this to your children so they don't receive a more severe bite.

All birds pick and choose their food when eating by nudging through and tossing what they don't want. Offering something this instant, hour or day, does not mean they will not eat it tomorrow if present in their bowl. Try many different types of veggies, cooked, raw etc. They each have their own preference and some will eat cooked quicker than raw, some will eat both just depending on what they feel like having that day.

Pellets are something you must work at to get your bird to eat. Harrison's website has very good articles on getting your bird to accept pellets.

YOu can also do a web search for parrot food, get the contact numbers and call and ask for samples. Most will send samples and you can determine which your bird prefers over another.

In regards talking, it sounds like he is just mumbling in his new home whcih is normal when they are still uncertain of any threats that may be around. CD's that are supposed to "Train" your parrot to talk are worthless and just background noise to a bird. Just turning your tv on will have the same results in producing background noise.

Parrots learn sounds and words because they link it to an event, action, item description or they just like the sound etc. Your bird will pick up new words by you using them when you are are something and describing it or doing something and describing. Things like "Apple" each time you offer a piece of apple or saying "Lets make coffee" while your making coffee. They will watch, listen and learn those things that they wish to be able to communicate back to you.

The book "For the love of Greys" by Bobby Brinker is a good all around generic book on Greys and how to care for them.

Your more specific questions as you asked above will only be found on a forum such as this with many owners having experience in what you are asking.

Thank you so much!! This really helps. I absolutely love this forum!! I am looking forward to a long life with Oliver so any information I can obtain to make his life happy and healthy Im all for. He is an incredible bird, Once I learn how to post pics I will post one of me and oliver. Thanks again.

Hello to you and Oliver. So you have a fid that doesn't like his greens, eh? The best thing you can do is sit by his cage and let him see you eating them. Keep a section on your plate for him that is free of seasonings and sauces. Make a big production about how much you're enjoying them (good idea to make sure no one is around with a video camera before you do this!:P ) Pretending to him that he's not allowed to have any also works wonders. Just like a kid, as soon as he thinks it's something he's not supposed to have, it becomes almost irresitable. It's called the African Grey diet. You'll end up eating healthier food because you want to set a good example for your bird:)

As for biting prevention, you have to learn about Grey body language, and the specific cues Oliver is giving you. If you do get bit (and you will) let him know it's not ok. Don't get excited or scould him in an excited tone of voice. The little critters tend to find big reactions entertaining and may actually start to bite more to get that reaction. Just make a sad face, because they can read our facial expressions, say something in a sad, quiet voice like 'no bite' and then walk away from the cage, leave the room, turn your back on him for a few seconds. I tend to change the time out according to the bite. Just a beaking that gets a little too hard gets just a few seconds, the one time Dorian really nailed me he got the silent treatment for a good five minutes. This denies them the thing they want, which is the company and attention of their flock.

I wouldn't let kids any where near that beak until you know each other better. If you don't want Oliver to be afraid of the kids you'll have to teach them to be gentle and quiet, a soothing presence, around him. They might enjoy reading children's books to him. It will help build trust, and it's the best way to encourage your bird to talk. The kids will be thrilled if he says something in their voice. Just warn them it can take months. Having a grey around is actually be a great way to learn about patienceB)