NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Grey has little nubs at corners of mouth

a_parrots_uncle

Hey there, I've never posted before but your forum has helped my family with our African Grey so much :)

But now, we've noticed some little nubs, or pouches that have developed (actually, they may have actually always been there...we've had her for a year, but never noticed them before) right at the corners of her mouth on her cheeks. They seem to turned pinkish orange, but we don't know if that's from something she recently ate. They seem to swell up and shrink like pouches or something.

She's perfectly happy and healthy otherwise, but I wanted to make sure this is normal or abnormal. I have looked and looked at all the pictures I can find online and never have seen these on any other African Grey. She is a congo not timneh (she has red tail and black beak) and is about 13 years old.

I've attached pictures but the little pouches seem to have deflated a little in the last few hours.

(PS: It wouldn't allow me to upload pictures. Working on it.)

Any thoughts?

Post edited by: a_parrots_uncle, at: 2009/12/30 05:43<br><br>Post edited by: a_parrots_uncle, at: 2009/12/30 05:49

Welcome!

I would take your grey to an avian vet to have it looked at. From what you describe, it is not normal and something is going on in that area of the beak.

Here is what a normal picture of that area looks like:

Reduced_Dayo.jpg

I hope to hear more from you. :-)

Hi and Welcome. Dan's addressed the mouth problem - and Harvey's is the same as Dayo's in the picture that Dan's posted - so there may be a little infection going on at the beak area of your bird.

With regards the photos - I found this tutorial extremely helpful when I first started:

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/the-photography-room/89533-how-to-post-picturesphoto-tuturial.html

Hope this helps :)