NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Getting Grey to step up

anib

We recently acquired a 3 year old female grey by the name of Jewel. When trying to get her out of her cage, she of course goes to the top, squawks and flaps her wings. If we leave the door open, she does come right out but as soon as anyone even looks as though they are coming near her, she climbs up to the top outside the cage. If we continue to persue her she will eventually try to fly away and land on the floor. At that point, SHE will start saying "up, up, up" and she will get up on my arm. How do we train her to get up on our arm before she ends up on the floor?

Hi anib and welcome to our family. You say that you recently acquired Jewel - she will be adjusting to her surroundings, her new family and everything is so uncommon to her. As a 3 year old Jewel will be quite set in her ways - she won't want "new, immediate friends" she wants what she knows.

Give her a bit time, let her find her "wings" and explore. It sounds good that she will let you pick her up once she's on the floor - she's accepting she needs your help.

It's a slow process of trust and understanding by both parties - frustrating I know, but something that you have to overcome and slowly build a relationship with Jewel.

There are tons and tons of members who have taken on an older grey, not baby grey, and they have posted their trials and tribulations on this forum - mooch around - you'll find them!

Do you have any photos of Jewel - we'd love to see them! Good luck and I look forward to hearing more about you and your family :)

I tried to upload my pictures of Jewel but I guess the file is "too big" or something. I kept getting an error.

All in all, we are very pleased with her. We've had her since just before Thanksgiving and she's really adjusted nicely. The previous owner also said that they had trouble getting her to step up and they had her since she was a baby. They stopped letting her out because of the difficulty they had getting her back in. They would eventually have to towel her. I knew going in to this that I didn't want to have her caged all the time. Ideally, I'd like to be able to have her out of her cage as much as possible. The problem is that it's such a hassle that we're hesitant to let her out. Therein lies the irony...in order to get her used to it we have to do it often but it's such an ordeal, we hesitate to do it!

Welcome Anib!

It's GreYt having you here. :-)

It is always a joy to hear of someone that has taken in a grey in need of a new home.

As Jill said, time and patience is # 1.

The next thing to do is use positive reinforcement to get her to do things because she wants to and is comfortable with it. At 3 she is still very young and easier to train than a much older bird. Use her favorite treats to work on step-up. This may be nuts like almonds, walnuts or a seed like sunflower and most love grapes and apples. Offer the treat on the other side of the arm you wish her step-up on so she must step on to your arm to get it.

She will not of course at first probably. So go towards her with the treat in hand across you other arm and as she leans or comes closer to get that treat, reward her and praise her with sincerity. They pick up on your feelings. If your happy, they relax, if your stressed, they become stressed and fearful.

The previous owners made getting off the floor and-or put back in the cage a stressful experience for her every time by toweling her. She has nothing but bad memories therefore of being picked up and put back in her cage. Thus, she has learned it is better on her on power, when she wishes to.

One thing I want to mention is if you let her out of the cage do not provide her with any food or water outside of her cage so she has to go back inside to get them and she will eventually when she either gets hungry or thirsty. It is traumatic to have to towel them to get ahold of them but if she can go back on her own terms or by herself then so much the better.

Thanks for the advice. She's actually out of the cage now and has been for a few hours. She went back into the cage to eat and then came back out again. That's the first time she's done that so I think we may be getting somewhere. She also took a grape from me which she's never done outside the cage. She usually runs away when I offer food while she's out. I'll keep you posted!