NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New laws long overdue

Joolesgreyuk

Here in the UK we have stringent laws in place regarding the selling of unweanded birds. What I feel is sadly lacking and costing bird's lives is not so much cruelty but ignorance.

When I was a child we had a couple of budgies as pets at various times and when I had my own children I remember buying a pair of tiels for them which they were responsible for. One of the tiels died very suddenly and quickly whilst I was alone with them. I put it down to a "heart attack" basically I guess because of the way it died and the suddeness of it. Knowing what I do now of the every day household items which are known to be deadly to birds, it could've been almost anything that killed my son's tiel as the only thing I knew of to be dangerous to birds was hairspray! There weren't many computers in general use in those days or parrot forums or search engines of course. I remember calling the breeder for another tiel and I remember his excuses for not selling me another bird, I fear he suspected cruelty, none of us could ever have been cruel to an animal/bird but we were guilty of ignorance!

Of course there are still many elderly people who don't own computers in the UK and elsewhere and so will be totally unaware of the dangers lurking in every household (I wouldn't have known myself had it not been for this very site) and so I think it's long overdue that a law (similar the the unweaned law) was passed requiring all breeders and pet shops selling birds to issue a booklet listing all potential dangers to all buyers. The cost would be negligable and it could save hundreds of bird's lives in the UK alone. It's such a simple idea that I can't understand why it isn't law.<br><br>Post edited by: Joolesgreyuk, at: 2009/12/27 11:14

I think it depends on your breeder. I had a very reputable breeder who did indeed issue me with said leaflets and guidelines. I researched AGs before I purchased Harvey and went with my breeder as they displayed, in my mind, the best care and attention to their babies, and older birds and are very responsible for their offspring. I could telephone them now for advice a year on - it's a service they offer.

All animals should be issued with guidelines - but at the end of the day it's only the caring owners who would be bothered about any hidden dangers - whether given a leaflet or not. There's too many who don't care though :(

Jill, I also researched for a year before buying but was only given a VERY basic leaflet when buying Beau. There was no explaination of the dangers of normal household appliances and had I not bothered to research or indeed not have the tools (computer) to do so, I'd be totally unaware of dangers such as teflon and self-cleaning ovens.

I agree that all animals should be issued with guidelines and I also agree that many owners just don't care enough. What I am getting at is that if all buyers were issued with said booklets then ignorance would not be an issue.

Many breeders are reputable - sadly many are not and that is where the law would help.

It all boils down to whether or not the new parronts care to learn about their birds and what is safe or not for them. You can issue all the paper you want but if someone won't read it or if they think they know it all there is nothing anyone can do. You can lead a horse to ...... as the saying goes. My grey's breeder give me a folder full of information and lots of food and recipes and on line companies to get this that and the other thing from. She looked over my bird carrier and would have followed me home if I would have let her. She did call me almost immediately after I got home to make sure I and of course her baby had arrived safely. I talk to her all the time. But she has also told me that some of her new parronts do not want to remain friends after the sale. This is why she does not ship her babies, you must come get them so she can weed out the bad ones, if possible. I think it would be wonderful to have a bird/parrot buyer's guide book issued to every bird/parrot buyer. But all you can do is hope and pray they are read and the information absorbed.<br><br>Post edited by: luvparrots, at: 2009/12/28 21:49

Julie I agree that the information given to new owners is minimal and some guidelines need to be put in place,not only for parrots but for all exotic animals.A lot of vets are not conpetent in treating and giving care advise on exotics so what hope does a new owner have.Now we have access to the internet we can gather information but sometimes the information found is way off mark and it is down to a new owner to decide what is good and bad information,hard to do when you have little knowledge.Also the information is very conflicting.

I have to agree with both Janet and Jill in that a booklet isn't going to help in the case of uncaring ownwers that simply can't be bothered. I obviously haven't explained myself very well, I'm targetting those who care but for whatever reason don't have the resources to find out what to us now is obvious. I know these people exist - I know some of them, indeed I was ignorant to the dangers 15 - 20 years ago when we had the tiels.

Sheila has "hit the nail on the head" re vets, most who only know about cats, dogs and livestock. I remember bringing Beau home and thought it would be a good idea to register him with my local vet who is virtually on my doorstep. What did the receptionist say to me? "Is Beau a cat or a dog"! They simply have no knowlwdge of anything more exotic. I didn't even know that avian vets existed - nor would I without the internet. Many elderly people (my parents included) don't have computers in their homes.

Jill touched on breeders, it seems Harvey's breeder is a good one, unfortunately all breeders aren't and some people are not prepared to travel hundreds of miles to find a "recomended" one. Some breeders and pet shops have to be forced to do what's right by laws being in place.

I really don't see why anyone would be against this, it can only be a good thing to be armed with more information, correct information at that which as Sheila says, isn't always forthcoming on the internet. New legislation could potentially save hundreds of birds lives - every year. How can anyone be against that?

This is a good thread and important conversation.

It is good to hear that at least your government is trying to do something about educating people on their critters or at least providing them with some information.

The sad part, as already mentioned. Is people just see something cute, buy it and have no clue how to provide the correct diet, environment, training and loving home as part of the family as ALL critters need.

It is a sad statement in all lands. That most rescues demand people be educated, attend classes and are screened BEFORE being allowed to take a critter home.

I know many people do not like "Government" involvement and regulations. But, in my opinion, people need to be held "Accountable" for a their actions to not just other humans, but all "Creation".

This needs to be proactive and beforehand. Rather than after the fact when damage is done and sometimes it results in severe cruelty and loss of life senselessly.

Thanks for starting this thread and Karma!<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2009/12/28 15:16

Thank you Dan. The point is, our government is guilty of doing nothing - the same as other governments. DEFRA is our body in charge of animal welfare matters and I believe it is DEFRA who police the weaning law. The trouble is, what is in it for the governments of the world, no money for sure!

Do I sound cynical? I am!

Actually, there are booklets and books that are for sale concerning how to go through the beginning steps after buying a baby grey. These books just like any other investigative material, should be purchased before buying the bird. That also applies to all animals, 2, 3 and 4 legged.

Getting information from a breeder doesn't necessarily mean that the information is totally correct. Many breeders have different opinions and ideas which aren't necessarily true.

Let's say that a person buys an unweaned bird. There are no books available that teach a person how to deal with that situation so the breeder can possibly tell you wrong information.

All people of all ages should check out what they buy before buying. People even do that when they're buying appliances or lawn mowers or paint or TVs hamsters, cats, dogs, reptiles, horses etc.