NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Flew away :( Any hope in retrieving him?

Sindbad

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The others have given good comments.

It's good to hear you have a possible spotting of him and the area he may being hanging around.

Whatever you used to call him at your home, use that and loudly.

A lost bird is frightened and will normally remain totally silent to hide it's location from predators. My experience has been that no sounds were made until the bird heard my or my wifes voice and that was not until the first 24 hours had passed. The first 24 they are too frightened to even respond back to there flock.

Walk the area, stop, call, listen, walk a little more, call and listen. If he hears you, he will know your voce and respond or may even try to fly to you. Your bird will hear you and see you long before you will him. So keep your hearing as #1 input to monitor for the slightest recognizable call you would recognize and triangulate on.

Your bird could be straying in a tree, bush or covey hole. It will be where he has found the most safety in his mind.

I do hope you find him today before all the new years eve craziness starts that could drive him much farther away if he is the bird spotted in your area.

Still praying for you both.

What I was trying to say is that calling is your best hope, in my opinion and experience.

BUT, because you have to work ( i assume) it would the best use of your time to only be looking for him during the times that you know that he is vocal (normally morning for my CAG)

FURTHERMORE, when you do find him... go gently to him so as not to scare him into flight... get close to him and then GRAB him... he might bite, but it won't be hard. Assuming you don't have a cage with you... make sure he can not get out of your grip, do not let him free until you are safe in your car or home.

Good luck.

Unfortunately no. I'm quite depressed. I'm almost sure that guy who was asking for $300 reward had him. I told him I would pay it, but he said he was gonna look for him. But I'm positive he had him and he wasn't sure I would give him the money because I was really disgusted with him when he asked for more money. He misinterprited it. I called the number a few days ago and someone who does not speak much English answered and said that guy was just using the phone and he would give him the message.

I have little hope of finding him now. I don't know where to look. I've been walking around at sunrise, talking to people and giving them flyers, and replacing those poster that were taken off. But I don't know where to go or where to look any more.

I found one of his feathers in my office, and I kept it, and another one at home. I keep looking at them and hope I'll get him back one day.

I haven't been able to find the ID# that he had on his band. Called the store where he was purchased but they couldn't retrieve it because he was not registered immediately upon purchase on their computer.:(((

This is terribly sad, I share your pain and feelings of helplessness.

If you feel this guy has Sinbad then you must keep in touch with him, pester him until he is sick of your calls. Here in the UK it is illegal to knowingly hold on to someone else's bird or demand money for him, if this is the case in the US then you must report this guy. Surely the person taking your call would also know if he had the bird - you can't exactly hide them can you!

If I felt as strongly as you that this guy had my fid then I would persue it relentlessly. Please don't give up and please do keep us updated, we all care.

I hope you are able to contact that person and if nothing else, at least get some type of assurance that he has Sinbad or doesn't.

I commend you for your undying commitment in finding Sinbad. You have my continued prayers an best wishes in a joyful outcome.

I don't know!!! I'm afraid that my thoughts that this guy must have taken my bird may be only a hunch that I got out of dispair. I have no evidence and I have no proof. What if he didn't take him? I'll try to retrieve the number from the bill and call him again and see what happens. Sindbad's absence has made me quite depressed most of the time, esp. that I'm starting to have less hope in his return.

I am so sorry :( I was hoping we would have some good news. If that guy does have Sindbad he may have discovered that he could make more selling him. Check Craigslist and any listing sites like that in your area for any african greys listed for sale lately. May not help at all but its worth a shot. Alot of people might sell a bird they found rather than keep him. You can still find him, don't give up hope! *hugs*

I will try to keep a lookout too and let you know if I see anything, another site similar to craigslist is kijiji.com I think. That is actually where I got my bird from but the lady I got him from had raised him from 4 weeks. Good luck! Praying for you and Sindbad!