NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Question about gas heat

Summerc25

I am sure this topic has been addressed, I found some about it. I am looking at new houses and my favorite house so far has gas heat. I am not sure if it is propane or natural gas or what. If something happened to my grey I would absolutely die. If I find out that this is dangerous for him I will strike the house from my list. It is the only house so far that fits my families needs and I really love the house. Does anyone here have gas heat and know if this is safe for birds as long as I have Carbon Monoxide detectors and things like that? I just do not want to chance it. This bird is like my child and I adore him. I am always really paranoid and everything that 'might' be dangerous to him is just not allowed in my house lol Hairspray even has to be sprayed outside just as a precaution. What do you all think about Gas heat and stoves? The gas stove could be changed out for electric but the heating system could not. Also, just to be safe with all appliances, I would need to run them for a while before letting him be in the house with them running right?

Does anyone have gas heat and think this is ok to have a parrot in a house with gas heat?

Does anyone think it is just a really horrible and unsafe environment for a parrot?

Thanks in advance!

Summer and Shakazulu

Summer, I have natural gas heat in the family room we built onto our house, our house has a heat pump but when we added the room it was easier to put in a gas furnace rather than get a bigger heat pump. I have no problem with it and the birds are in the family room. If the fuunace was properly installed then it should be no problem.

As Judy said, Gas heat is fine. It burns clean.

There are literally millions of homes that use it in in forced air units and even the old floor furnaces in vintage homes.

A good Carbon Monoxide detector is a must in my opinion for all homes whether they have parrots or not.

I have several fids and use natural gas for everything, including a gas log fireplace. I have never had a problem, other than a false alarm from a malfunctioning CO detector. When that happened, I evacuated everyone from the house, birds and all. I called the fire department who showed up with their own highly sensitive carbon monoxide detector, which they used to check every area of the house and all of my gas equipment. I replaced the detector with a new one and that was it.

We also have gas heat and have had a parrot safe house. For me, it is also a backup plan because if a storm put out the electricty, the fan on the furnace may not operate, but the house would still be warm from the potbellied stove or fireplace logs. Of course, moving into a new house is a big deal. The carbon monoxide detector is a low cost great return investment too. Take care. Thanks for joining us. Dee