NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

vaccination or not

timotian

What are we vaccinating them against? If I had strong reason to believe that there was a parrot ailment that could be prevented by a simple vaccine, then of course I would get Harvey vaccinated. I am not aware of any vaccinations that I should be giving Harvey - but if they were available and I deemed him at risk I certainly would go for it. I'm vaccinated, the kids are vaccinated - if I had a dog it would be vaccinated - so the parrot would too :)

OMG! I've just googled it! It is so called Newcastle disease because it was discovered here, in Newcastle upon Tyne!

I can promise you all - I am 35 years old and from this obviously now famous place and never, ever heard of this disease!!! Hang fire and don't panic!!!! This is unless we've eradicated it and shipped it out elsewhere!! :laugh:

Newcastle disease is a contagious bird disease affecting many domestic and wild avian species

Newcastle Disease(NDV) was discovered in Newcastle upon Tyne, England in 1926 (Doyle), but also at this time slightly different strains were found in other parts of the world.

No treatment for NDV exists, but the use of prophylactic vaccines and sanitary measures reduces the likelihood of outbreaks

Virus classification:

Group: Group V ((-)ssRNA)

Order: Mononegavirales

Family: Paramyxoviridae

Genus: Avulavirus

Species: Newcastle disease virus

Char is totally correct. If there was a necessity for that vaccine, believe me, many vets would be pushing people to vaccinate their birds. Just another way to make some money.

She's also right about chickens. Like the 2005 virus that spread around, this virus and that virus primarily had to do with all types of birds that stayed on the ground. Almost all were used as food and had to be destroyed.

Another thing about this virus has to do with when a bird gets it. The virus affects parrots when they're chicks. By the time they're weaned, if they have the virus it's too late. This virus basically affects poor quality parrots who are originally in large masses. If the parents are carriers, the chicks will get it. One other thing concerning the virus. It's more likely to be spread by poor quality imported amazons that were originally caught in the wild such as the greys that were in the past.

In 2005, there was only one reported case of a parrot getting the virus and that happened because that parrot lived in an indoor area where hundreds of poultry animals were being raised for food purposes. Basically, it was a barn located on a farm.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/12/25 19:35