NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The Whale.....

danmcq

I know this is not a Grey. But since this is a story of a remarkable rescue. I thought I woul dpost it here.

"The Whale"

A female humpback whale had become entangled in a spider web of crab traps and lines. She was weighted down by hundreds of pounds of traps that caused her to struggle to stay afloat. She also had hundreds of yards of line rope wrapped around her body, her tail, her torso, a line tugging in her mouth.

A fisherman spotted her just east of the Faralon Islands (outside the Golden Gate Bridge SF) and radioed for help.

Within a few hours, the rescue team arrived and determined that she was so bad off, the only way to save her was to dive in and untangle her--a very dangerous proposition. One slap of the tail could kill a rescuer.

They worked for hours with curved knives and eventually freed her.

When she was free, the divers say she swam in what seemed like joyous circles.

She then came back to each and every diver, one at a time, nudged them, and pushed gently, thanking them.

Some said it was the most incredibly beautiful experience of their lives.

The guy who cut the rope out of her mouth says her eye was following him the whole time, and he will never be the same.

May you, and all those you love, be so fortunate...

To be surrounded by people who will help you get untangled from the things that are binding you. And, may you always know the joy of giving and receiving gratitude.

I pass this on to you, my friend, in the same spirit.

Hugs. Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Love truly,Laugh uncontrollably... Never regret anything that made you smile. :-)

I remember once when a humpback whale came right up beside where I was looking over the rail and popped up and blew water from his blow hole up at me. I laughed and laughed and one of the crew told me it was good luck to be "snotted on" by a whale!!!! :laugh: Great memory to be that close to a whale.

Thanks Dan! It doesn't compare to the peril to the divers to rescue the whale, but when I was a teen, the neighbor's German shepherd had a chipmonk. It was tossing it into the air, playing with it. Without thinking, I chased the dog and snatched the little chippy from its mouth. I have a scar on my thumb to remind me of it sinking its teeth to the bone. I held on and put it in a cardboard box. I kept it in a cage for a couple of days to see it was unharmed. The day I took it to the edge of the woods and opened the cage was a moment in time that taught me every creature has a soul and heart. I went back into the house. The chipmonk had skittered into the safety of the forest. It turned and came back to the back door, sat on the patio slab, sat on its haunches and put its paws together looking into the door. I felt like it thanked me, then it turned back and scampered happily to find its home.

I am glad this rescue story of the Whale and also Dee's story of the Chipmunk has made an impact.

We are stewards of this planet and all it's living creatures. It is always good to see the best in humanity in inspiring true storied like these.

These sentient beings are "Self Aware" and appreciate deeply when rescued in most cases.

Please do share with all you know. :-)

I regularly save animals - this is how ridiculous I am! When it rains, the worms come out - but perilously the sun comes out too! If I'm on a pavement where a little worm is trying to get back to the wet of the mud or grass, I pick it up! I know - kind of sick - but I've done it since I was a kid! My friends think I am loopy!! I do it with snails too - just to help them along their way - I do hope they were going in that direction though!! ;)