NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What Happens When.....

wbaradio

You introduce another younger CAG to your older CAG. I have Sam my 17 year old CAG and I was wondering what would happen if I acquired a young CAG (unknown sex)? Are there any general rules regarding introducing a new CAG with existing CAG? Will they bond and treat their humans differently?

1--""Are there any general rules regarding introducing a new CAG with existing CAG? ""

All CAGs need their own cage. Putting them together in one cage could cause problems for either bird/birds or problems towards you. Any introduction has to first start with the birds being aware of each other's presence with each in their own cage. The next step of introduction is out of the cage in neutral areas. Each bird must be able to get back to their cage when they want to.

""""Will they bond and treat their humans differently?""""

All parrots have individual personalities and what happens when they're together is totally up to them. Bonding could happen but that will happen when they're in the same cage or they will hate each other and show aggression and jealousy. That especially applies to the older bird. A parrot doesn't like their personal home ( cage ) invaded by another bird.

Again, how they treat the owner is totally up to them but as long as they're kept apart and treated as individuals, most will stay friendly with the owners but there's no guarantees

Sex has no bearing here. Males can hate females, other males and the same thing also applies to females.

It's all about individuality.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/12/19 23:30

Dave is right on for sure. My two are different species and ages and they are different from night and day. I keep an eye of my Eclectus (10+) because it just depends on what mood he is in. Some days he will tolerate Ana Grey (16 months) and some days he wishes she would go far, far away.

Thanks for the posts...I also have a Indian Ring Neck and four Cockatiels, two Parakeets, and a Partridge in a Pear tree... well maybe not the Partridge. Anyway, Dave, I'll take your advice and I'll stick with what I've got. The cockatiels are mating pairs and their behaviour toward us humans did change once they paired up. The females are still pretty affecionate towards us, but the males are more protective/jealous over the females. I see your point about parrots being more "individualistic" and I don't want to chance any clashes with Sam, so I won't add another to the mix.