NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

new cage?

Guest briansmum

Guest briansmum

i'm thinking of getting a new cage, because even though the one i have i got from the breeder i'm not sure it is quite wide enough and i don't like the way the door opens down. i've been looking at new cages and i really like the corner one as it utilises the space in my room best and it has the play area on top with it's own tray. i'm pretty sure it's bigger than the one he's got, i was just wondering what everyone thought of it, and if it was suitable before i bought it.

http://www.parrot-cage.co.uk/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,74/category_id,30/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,44/

Ya you need a cage large enough your bird can spread his wings and flap. Up and down space is not as important but flapping space is and you need room for toys on top of that.

Bigger is better.

Do you have bird fairs in your area? Thats usually a great way to pick up cages for much less.

Guest briansmum

neither have i, and with the furniture in my room and the way the cage would fit with the door it would give brian much easier access to his cage. plus i've recently notices that some of the bars on the one i have done connect into their holes properly, i fear bri could hurt himself on these sharp bits if he finds them.

There is quite a difference in inches and centimeters, Talon, I just couldn't let that slip by, sorry, I'll make it up to you, I promise.

I am at work now and cannot look but I have seen those corner cages on other sites as well and they may be bigger than the one you mentioned, Beccy, I like them but I didn't get one since I liked the one I have better than them. Just keep looking and you will find what you need, and bigger is better but not those macaw size, those are just TOO big.:)

Guest briansmum

dont forget though that it is only the 2 sides that are 62cm. and it curves outwards, so from the back to the front of the curve would be wider. still though, i will keep looking for one a bit larger

Beccy,

Could you explain the dimensions, they are not given in Width, depth and height as here in the us, they are given as:

LENGTH 92.5cm

WIDTH 62cm

HEIGHT 157cm

BAR SPACING 20mm

Which of these is the depth from the front to the back of the cage, Length?

The Width of the Cage is what needs to be 100CM.

62CM = 24 inches. That is not wide enough for wing extension. If the width is truly the left to right dimension as shown in the photo.

A Grey should have at least 32 - 36 inches for wing span, varying a little due to the size differences of the Grey's.

Guest briansmum

the width or depth (in this case) would be the 2 sides which connect to for the point at the back of the cage, they go off at a right angle and then the front is the curved bit. so from the point at the back to the side of the curve would be 62cm, but from the back of the cage to the front of the curve would be wider than 62cm. it is decieving as is is a corner. the 92.5 would be from one side where the straight meets the curve to the other. though i have found one on another site with slightly bigger dimensions

Hi Beccy,

In that case, the 92.5 cm is just about wide enough at the very front of the cage for full wing extension.

If you can find one bigger, the better :-)<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2007/07/25 16:33

Guest briansmum

thankyou for all your advice everyone :) i think i'm gonna go for the corner cage, it is bigger, safer and better than the one he has now. do you think i should contact the breeder and tell him i am very dissapointed with the cage he reccomended i bought from him?

Guest Lidia

That cage looks great, Beccy. Just remember to keep his perches low until he gets the hang of being able to perch properly.

Guest briansmum

i like that one too, i just didn't think i would have space for it, but if i get rid of some furniture it will fit. the sacrafices we make eh? :laugh:

lidia he perches fine, he's a good little climber im sure he'll have fun throwing himself around that one LOL

That is a wonderful cage beccy, wish I could get one for Roxy, but my home is too small, when I get married in two months I will make a plan, in the meantime, she is only in her cage when I put her to bed.

Thanks for the pics. :cheer:

Guest briansmum

well, it finally came and we finally got it up! i love it, it takes up far too much space and can't decide where the toys should go but it's brlliant, he has so much more space and it's so much more sturdy than his old one.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i40/rebeccameg/bricage001.jpg

he seemed a bit skittish in it at first, but hes preening and playing now so i guess he's settled in :) thanks guys for warning me against the corner one, this one is much better.

That one you got is similar to mine for Josey, is that where you got the idea for that particular one, I love it, it has that playtop lower than the other part of the cage so they are not up so high as when it is on top of the whole cage. Looks like a very nice cage, Beccy, and I'm sure Brian loves it too.:) :) :) :)

Guest briansmum

yes i'd never seen one that shape until i saw the picture of yours and another members in the post pictures of your cage thread, i just didn't think i'd be able to fit one in :)

i love the playstand, i did have a seperate one for him before but it was all wood and he was destroying it, i can't wait till he get's his feet and finds his way around it properly. i put the same toys in that he had in his old cage at the time to help him adjust