NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

molting ?

GorgASS

just had a question...

when grey's molt, is it an age thing or more of a time of the year thing? willis will be a year old in jan. and i've been finding a few feathers here and there. when i cleaned his cage today i found 2 bigger grey feathers, but there's the white fluffies all over the place. and the wing feather on the edge (the one all the way on the outside) is really ratty looking. so i was just wondering if he's getting ready to molt or what's going on. thanks everybody!

KYA is doing the same she is now a year old i think the house heating is making it happen quicker? but i`d like to hear more on this :) i spray her twice a week in the afternoon not night. and also i use Aloe Vera Juice Drink neat in the spray bottle on its own after i wet them not all the time just now and then. http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=274&prodid=382

was told here in the forums it helps them.

Dave.

Post edited by: Lex, at: 2009/12/23 22:01<br><br>Post edited by: Lex, at: 2009/12/23 22:02

"""""is it an age thing or more of a time of the year thing? willis will be a year old in jan. """"

It's both. Greys will have their first major molt between 10 to 16 mts. After that occurs, a time line routine sets in and greys will molt once or twice a year. All molting is messy, dusty. If you have a large amount of feathers in the bottom of your cage, lightly mist them with water. The dampness won't let them blow around. Do this when changing the bottom tray.

The humidity or lack of has a lot to do with molting. The dryer and less humid it is, the more times the bird will lose feathers.

Other greys will lightly molt all year long because they have more feathers that die off quickly. Most of those birds are adults.

Other reason for molting is because a bird's dander remains on feathers and causes heavy feathers which causes the parrot to shed those heavy feathers and get replaced with light fresh feathers until they also die out. Then, the cycle starts all over again.

PS--the shafts (pin feather area) are always more visible when a parrot is losing his/her feathers<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/12/23 22:38