NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

red african grey

Janfromboone

JillyBeanz wrote:

I am still of the opinion though, that unless for medical means and research then genetics should be left well alone.

Hmm... this was done through selective breeding(the same process that has resulted in all domestic plants/animals). Its a technology that humans have been using for thousands of years.

particle77 wrote:

Hmm... this was done through selective breeding(the same process that has resulted in all domestic plants/animals). Its a technology that humans have been using for thousands of years.

And working in Histotechnology and then clinical genetics I am well aware of this - I still don't have to agree with it!!! ;)

Guest jamalbirdbiz

Some people have way to much x on there hands. I am very much against all of this weird breeding. but i guess this science guy is reallly wanting to make a name for himself. normally this weird breeding causes lots of congenital problems and many animals dont make it. i think it is weird in a mean way. i am not down with it. i hope this little red grey will have a happy and healthy life. it seems the other two in his clutch were not so fortunate. :(

"in theory" the all-red mutation (I call it an albino) could have occurred in the wild.

Humans sped the process up by "selective breeding."

My concerns lie in diminished mental capacity and other health issues with these domesticated designer parrots.

I claim these as domesticated because the videos I've seen, the breeders will pickup a baby sitting between its parents on a perch and the parents don't attack. While I am no breeder, this seems to be contrary behavior to how 'normal' greys reproduce/act around the family unit.

• 1 month later...

Seriously speaking, there's no official classification because they've never been considered as a subspecies of any type.

A TAG is classified much more closely related to a CAG than a red congo african grey. That's because the TAG is a subspecies.Everything was done by artificially manipulating genes. It's the exact same bird. It can be considered a red factor grey but than again, red factor greys are still not classified a subspecies.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2010/01/20 20:35