NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Dry (not cooked) Pasta

CuteMandaPanda

I decided to get creative and took dry pasta noodles and strung them on jute rope and places them around the bars of Baby's cage. I figured they'd be fun for him to chew and crack because they are brittle and make loud noises when the bang off the sides or bottom bars.

Turns out he enjoys eating the dry pasta. Should I be concerned? I will not make a habit out of it since I don't too much of anything is a good thing. But I want to be able to give it to him once in a while because it's stimulating and encourages him to play and move around his cage, etc.

What are your thoughts on the dry noodles?

Ok, cool! Yeah he tries to break pieces off that are big enough to carry back down to his perch so he can munch on it. Sometimes on his journey back to his perch he cracks and breaks the noodle between his beak and the bars, and he has to go back to the top and start over again. He really seems to enjoy both retreiving and snacking on it! I'm glad the dry pasta is a good idea because it's pretty cheap. Gosh, it sure is messy though!

My birds all eat dried pasta. I buy the egg noodles and use them as a treat. Talon and Rikki have "nightly noodle" time. They loves being fed one after the other while we are on the couch.

I also buy the long fusilini ones, and when I have to put them in their cages when I have to leave, they each get half as a treat handed to them as I put them on their perch in their cage.

I was thinking of getting wagon wheels. One of the toys I made for Baby is pasta strung on jute rope, and then I stuffed it in a toilet paper roll. Then I "stitched" each end of the toilet paper roll with more jute rope. I didn't close the openings, just used the rope to secure the opening to the point that the pasta can't fall out, but Baby can see inside. It made a nice foraging toy because he sees the pasta and if he gets ahold of a piece and breaks it, they don't all fall out because they are stuffed inside on the rope. It's hard to explain, but it kind of made a rattle. He hasn't showed interest in it. But he definitely found every piece of pasta I strung around his cage bars!

CuteMandaPanda wrote:

Rob and I were inspired by the craft projects we used to do in school with dry noodles. Remember when you used to glue dry noodles to paper plates? Or make garlands or necklaces out of dry noodles? That's where the idea came from. Haha.

Ha Ha! You clearly don't have kids - you will be sick of your life with the projects they come home with!!!! If you do make the pasta necklace, just be sure to remove it before you pop to the shops! ;)