NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Strange question

nicvic

I recently adopted a 15 year old Timneh Grey named Jake. I notice that he blows air out of his nose sometimes, almost like snort in a way, its kinda hard to explain. Does anyone elses bird do this. Or does this mean anything. Prior to owning Jake I had a blue front amazon and he never did anything like that. Jake's previous owner said he did this at her house also so it's not a new thing he is doing.

Jessi

Hi Jessi and Jake! If I'm understanding your description correctly, that I'd have to say, Yes, my Congo African Grey does the air blowing noise/snorting noise. I am interested what the other responses will say, but I don't think it is anything to be concerned about. I think it has to do with how they form sounds and noises as they don't actually have a voice box but more of an air control type of thing.

Thank you all for your replies, I am glad to hear that there are others whose greys make the same noise. I will try to post a piture of Jake soon. Jake is the second older bird I have adopted. My last bird was blue front amazon and he was 25 when I adopted him and I just loved him, unfortunately he passed away in June and boy was that hard. I was planning on buying a baby double yellow headed amazon in the spring but when I was asked if I would take Jake I couldn't pass him up. He is a sweet bird and loves to give kisses, but he is content on being in his cage and I would rather him be out of his cage so we are working on making him feel comfortable outside the cage.