NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

adopting a plucker and looking for advice

trail_rider

Hello everyone. I am new here and seeking advice. I am bringing Francis home two days before christmas and I cannot wait. The lady that has him now is a great lady. She saved Francis from a bd situation. He started plucking after his former family went on a two week vacation. When they returned to a plucking bird they took him straight to the avian vet. everything checked out so they deemed him to have a 'mental illness' They decided that they didnt want Francis anymore and gave them to the lady that has him now. She had planned on keeping him for ever, but when I had inquired about another bird and we talked for about two hours on the phone she told me about Francis. She said that she would understand if I wasn't interested but because he would thrive on attention and I seemed like a nice person, she told me about him. He is very sweet, steps up for most anyone, eats about anything you will give him, talks up a storm, ect. She said that when she is able to give him one on one he will let his feathers grow back in, but when she is away at horse shows and busy with other stuff he starts plucking again.

Initially I was looking for a bird that I can spend time with and interact with. I have a huge cage and all the time in the world. I have done tons of reading and research on greys, but I am open to learning more, so send the information my way!!

I would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer.

"""""Initially I was looking for a bird that I can spend time with and interact with. I have a huge cage and all the time in the world. I have done tons of reading and research on greys, but I am open to learning more, so send the information my way!!"""""

That's most of the problem solved because loads and loads of greys are pluckers simply because no one is there to give attention but you're all ready to do that. Get the bird, get used to him for a few weeks and keep in contact here and many will steer you in the right direction with a human library full of

suggestions, information, opinions, tricks and ideas. Keep in touch even if you haven't reached your pick up day.

Hi Trail_rider,

Well done for bringing home this little bird, she sounds like a real sweetie, but a sensitive wee soul who will thrive on you love and care.

As dave says, do keep in touch even before you bring Francis home - you will get a ton of info on here that will help!

Lyn & Alf

x

I have a 10-year old female plucker, who has more recently turned to shredding but leaving the feathers semi-in tact.

It takes time. I've only had her 5 months now, and she's already got a lot of her back feathers restored. She's very funny, talks a lot, but won't step up for just anyone.

I still can't always scratch her little head.

I think you're on the right track. If you can, when you travel, take Francis with you. I've found this is actually a good thing, as the birds like being included.

I am going away for a week in jan, it'll be the first time Talula hasn't seen me for this long. That will be what tells me how she handles being alone/away from me.

We do have two greys, and I think that helps her since she has someone who she talks to every day (they can't be in the same room tho, the boy is jealous to the 10th degree).

Karma to you for taking in a 'special needs' baby :)

Thanks guys for all the words of encouragement! The lady told me that he is sweet as pie and I cannot wait to get him home. I am going to get his cage all set up this weekend for him.

I went today and bought him some toys and some stuff to make him some toys. I got this really neat foraging toy and I hope he likes it.

I also got his food for him. Right now he is a zupreem pellet diet; which is what I feed my teils, but he is eating the fruit blend one with the colored pellets and a small amount of seed. So I bought a small bag of the fruit blend and a bigger bag of the zupreem without the die in it so I can switch him over to the natural pellets.

I cannot express my excitment enough!!!

If you are getting a plucker then try gradually reducing the pellets and relying more on fresh foods like sprouted seed & grains, fresh veggies and fruit and some soaked and cooked bean mix or some home made birdy bread. You will find it does make a difference to feed fresh.

So the pellets are a no no in general for a plucker? I thought it was just the ones with the coloring dye in them that were not good for a plucker. The lady I am getting him from said that she hasn't found a fresh food that he won't eat. She said that his all time favorite is scrambled eggs. :)

Fresh is suggested because it will help the feathers grow faster.

I try to mix fresh veggies in with the pellets, but my birds (Both plucker and non) are on a Roudybush pellet diet.

I mix in nuts to taste every other day, and treat them often (esp. the plucker, and call her pretty -- these things have helped me).

My other concern is that sometimes birds on an all pellet diet can be overvitaminized causing other health issues. It is a good thing to offer a varied diet for health and to avoid them not eating if there is a supply problem with what they are used to getting. These birds are sight feeders and will eat what they are used to seeing in their dishes it does take some time and some work to expand their culinary horizons.